Return to Website

Canadian Bank Rant Forum

Note: As of May 31, 2008, the forum is now a read-only archive.

Click here for the Compass Rose archive.

Click here for the POTC Interactive Project's homepage.

Canadian Bank Rant Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A hero for our heroes

Just saw a report on the TV News about Gary Sinese and how he spends a lot of his free time serving troops and veterans with his band, The Lt. Dan Band. He spoke about how he remembered the way Vietnam Vets were treated after the US pulled out, and he vowed to himself that he would do all he can to prevent veterans and service men and women from ever being treated that way again. (Sinese was born in 1955, and was too young to serve in Vietnam, but old enough to remember it.)

He is extraordinarily committed to the USO and actively involved in visiting the wounded, he's been to Iraq three times and planning a fourth visit this summer, sponsors a charity to provide Iraqi children with education materials and facilities (www.operationiraqichildren.org), and has participated in parades and other events honoring our military, active and veteran.

I always knew I liked Gary Sinese (and he looks like my dear departed friend, DeForest Kelley, too!)

Re: A hero for our heroes

Hey! He DOES look like DeForest Kelley now that you mention it!

Yeah, I remember the Vietnam War when I was young (a looonnnngggg time ago - lol). It always bothered me, too, the way the guys came home to so much anger and hatred, unlike the veterans of WWII. My dad served in the Navy during the Korean Conflict and he always said that was the forgotten war.

Anyway - good for Gary! What a great thing to do!!!!!

Re: Re: A hero for our heroes

My family & I spent Sunday a week ago down on the Mall in Washington, DC. My older son had the assignment of visiting all of the war memorials, something we have done many times, but his charge was to gather Park Service literature from each site & have his photo taken in from of each one.

It was chilly & rainy, very unseasonable, but everywhere was packed. In less than 2 hrs., I believe I heard 2 dozen languagues spoken by the people around me. As an American, I was awed so many would journey from all over the world & pay their respects at these sacred sites.

The Korean War Memorial was extremely compelling -- a squad of bronze soldiers in helmets & waterproof ponchos, looking off into some unknowable distance. In the misty late afternoon light, they seemed to breathe & live. There were many lovely wreaths & flowers placed all around the memorial. Perhaps we have not forgotten, but rather are just slow to remember.

God Bless your father for his service.

Re: A hero for our heroes

I think the reason M*A*S*H lasted eleven years on television was because it constantly honored the men AND women who served not only in Korea and Vietnam. It may have even led to people awakening to the fact that our Vietnam vets needed to be honored by their country and countrymen/women.