Return to Website

Canadian Bank Rant Forum

Note: As of May 31, 2008, the forum is now a read-only archive.

Click here for the Compass Rose archive.

Click here for the POTC Interactive Project's homepage.

Canadian Bank Rant Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A new chapter begins...well, maybe a book

Because I have lots to say! (Don't I always? Can't disappoint you now!)
Wow, I had no idea 2008 would be so full of changes! At least it sure seems that way for me.

My youngest nephew is graduating from high school this coming Sunday and will be attending the University of Michigan in the fall - on a four-year, full paid scholarship (sorry to brag, but I'm so proud of him), the younger nephew (with the June 9 birthdate ) is learning to drive (look out! Actually, he's doing very well), my oldest niece is beginning her first job as a lifeguard and her sister has her own pet-sitting job (in year two of this entrepreneur venture with a friend).

And I am letting go of a very big part of my life by retiring from 32 years of education. I'm mainly doing it for health reasons - I've struggled to keep up with managing two libraries the past couple of years, and was quite ill during this past winter.

And next year's assignment looked more horrendous and exhausting: teaching some level of English all day long - NO library!!!! Yes, sadly, it appears there will be no certified librarian in either media center. It's happening all over our state, even in the larger districts. I'm sure things will swing back eventually when the "powers that be" see what a fool-hardy decision they are making in the face of current budget problems.

So I'm going to pursue my photography instead and perhaps make a bit of extra money enjoying something I like to do. Not that I didn't enjoy my education career! I absolutely love working with books and research and, most days, working with students... it's just that I've been too tired to really appreciate my "duties" - that in a good year (there were a few) seemed anything but "work".

I've missed spending time here with all of you, but just could not fit it in. It's doubtful I'll have time to peruse any posts before the forums close (or maybe before I get this post written! Wrap it up, Red!!!) BTW, for those who didn't catch some of the references now and again - the "C" in RC Red originally stood for "chaplain", but has many appropriate substitutes, namely "chatterbox. )

But as I said in my "farewell" email to the district staff - I've seen many changes over the years, in the delivery of information alone. Take this website. (I rest my case! )

But there has always been one constant - and that's the people. I've worked with some terrific people over the years and worked with some "remarkable" students (if you know what I mean! )

Terrific and remarkable are only two adjectives out of many that I would use to describe this group. Let's see... hilarious, generous (with a capitial G), loving, kind, creative (with a capital C), encouraging, supportive -- the list can go on and on with all the positive traits all of you possess.

Before starting this, I noticed Jansy's prayer request (you have my prayers, too, dear friend). It reminded me again of what attracted me to this website in the first place.

Well, it WAS Captain Jack and the movie, but I was intrigued with the messages left on this board. So thoughtful and heartwarming, especially written by individuals who had quite obviously just gotten to know each other, if the first post date was any indication.

So I "lurked" for two weeks, and then bravely posted, "Can another pirate come aboard?" I was dealing with chemo, coming off a summer of three surgeries for breast cancer. And welcomed I was, as all of you were when you came aboard the Interactive Pearl for the very first time. POTC:COTBP kept me laughing all summer into the fall of 2003, and then when it left the theater, you mates took over. You are all amazing!!!!

Simply, and exponentially, AMAZING! And I sure do love you!

Neo, I remember an email you sent me in Nov. 2003 in which you said if the website's main accomplishment was to help me recuperate and get well, it was all worth it. I hope you know it's done much more than that, and I want to thank you for your efforts in maintaining it so others could benefit as I did.

I am so glad to hear the website itself will continue to be accessible, even if the forums won't be. (I think I have everybody's email, and I do plan to stay in touch!)

POTCinteractive.com truly is a classy, informative, fun, and beautifully designed site. Laura and Neo - well done!!!!

And I may have even have met a distant cousin through it - eh, Laura? Please know that I'd be honored to trace my family tree and find that we have a common ancestor.

I'm not going to attempt to name all of the friends I've made here, as surely I'd leave someone out. If you still hear from me - even infrequently - well, you're on my list.

And to sum it all up - using my favorite line from COTBP - in the infamous works of Jack Sparrow ("Captain, Captain Jack Sparrow"):
"Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate."

Indeed.

God bless you always, mates!
(He DID have a hand in all of this - I'm certain! How else could such events and people get woven together in such a detailed and intricate fashion, beginning with Mr. Depp's decision to make the film? Think about it. )

Hugs all around!

Re: A new chapter begins...well, maybe a book

Wow Red, things are really changing for you! Thank you for letting us know and for all your kind words.

Congrats to your nephew! What a wonderful family you have.

I can't believe you're not going to be a librarian anymore! I'm sure it was a tough decision, but I know you made the right one. We will certainly be glad to have more of your time!!

Hugs now and always!

Ah, Red...

How nice for you to retire, about time I say!! You will enjoy it terrifically I think..... and your photos are always so beautiful, wonderful that you are going to persue that.

We will have a new forum, and you will have time to post!! And there is August too!!

As always, gentle hugs for you
xoxoxoxoxox
e

Re: A new chapter begins...well, maybe a book

Red I'll always remember your inspirational story and cherish your friendship. I usually sign my emails with a quote by Henry David Thoreau which seems appropriate for you at this stage in your career.

“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Live the life you’ve imagined.”

Share it with your nephews.

All the best,
Kyrila