Return to Website

Maroon Wave Assembly Hall

Maroon Wave Assembly Hall - (refresh page to remove popup ads)
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Moore is poised for challenge

Bluefield Daily Telegraph, Bluefield, WV
July 5, 2010
Moore is poised for challenge
Manchin must consider filling Byrd’s senate seat
By CHARLES OWENS
Bluefield Daily Telegraph

WELCH — A McDowell County lawmaker is throwing his hat into the ring as a potential replacement for the late Senator Robert C. Byrd.

Delegate Clif Moore, D-McDowell, has forwarded a letter to Gov. Joe Manchin asking that his name be considered as a replacement for Byrd.

“While I maintain an acute cognizance the state is in a posture of mourning and honoring our fallen and beloved brother, I do recognize the importance of moving forward with this unwelcomed order of business,” Moore, the current chairman on the Committee on Banking, said in the letter to Manchin. “In that regard it is my sincerest feeling that the sum total of my educational achievements, professional accomplishments, political experiences and potential to grow and flourish in the aforementioned position perfectly postures me for the appointment.”

Moore, who also currently works as the county manager of McDowell County, defeated two opponents in May to win the Democratic nomination for the 23rd Delegate District seat. He has no Republican challenger in November. Moore was first elected to the House of Delegates in 2004.

In the letter to Manchin, Moore said he has been “favorably endorsed” by several of his colleagues — both Republican and Democratic — for the vacant Senate seat.

“West Virginia’s and Senator Byrd’s history will be positively influenced, both now and in he long-term, by naming me as his immediate successor,” Moore said. “To that extent, I will dedicate my entire repertoire of political, intellectual, physical and emotional capabilities toward effectuating and perpetuating a fair, equitable and meaningful existence for all West Virginians. Now is the perfect opportunity to initiate a rewrite of our storied history, and dramatically alter the nation’s misconception of West Virginia. If not now, when? If not you, who?”

Moore said he “stands poised to accept the challenge” of a U.S. Senate seat.

“Not only will I exceed the expectations of the position, I will change them,” Moore concluded in the letter.

— Contact Charles Owens at cowens@bdtonline.com