DDG-2 Former Crewmember Forum

Please feel free to join the message forum discussions.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Capt. Jack has sailed off into the sunset

The following was originally from "Wayne" and passed on to me by Dave Myerly:

On Tuesday, 28 August, Captain Jack Jones USN (Ret.) passed from this life quietly, in a nursing home here in Jacksonville. His son, Jack Jr. visiting his dad from Maine for the week, was with him.

I spoke with the Captain's son yesterday. He will be handling all arrangements through Hardage-Giddens funeral director here in JAX. His Dad is to be cremated and his ashes will be buried at sea in accordance with the Captain's wishes. His son wants to have a memorial service for his Dad here in JAX sometime in late Octorber. He will be posting announcements once final plans have been established.

Remember him as a WWII veteran, a former Commanding Officer of the USS Charles F. Adams and an avid supporter of the efforts to save her, a shipmate, and most of all as a very fine man. I was richly blessed to have known him and to have had the opportunity to spend time with him to hear his sea stories; he had many, and was proud to share them.

Wayne

Re: Capt. Jack has sailed off into the sunset

I never knew Captain Jack "back in the day"....I came aboard the deuce long after he left. But I did get the opportunity to meet him at the Adams reunion held in Cape Code, MA in 2000. What a guy.

He and I took a shine to each other, and spent a few hours gabbing outside in front of a fire, and swapping sea stories (I bet his were even true!).

He did share one story about the unfortunate happening in Naples that many of you know about. He told me that he relived that incident every single day for the rest of his life. A decent man, through and through.

May he rest in peace.

KL