Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Time for new blood.

I want to start by first of all thanking you, Nick, Jim Donovan, Ed Dalrymple, Ed Smock, John Ellis and so many of the others that have worked to make the IUSSCAA and the website happen. But let's face it, none of us are getting any younger and it seems that this may be an idea that is being overtaken by other social media resources that most of us are connected to, such as the IUSS Members Facebook page. If I am being honest, I have to admit that I check in here on the IUSSCAA website only once every few months or so. In terms of the IUSSCAA as an viable organization, I'm afraid the answer to that is in the hands of the current generation of IUSS members. You are right Nick when you suggest it is time for new blood. We all worked hard to see IUSS fully fleet integrated and I believe that initiative has become a success. The downside of that is that IUSS is no longer the tight-knit community it once was; it can't be. Sailors today are no less professional than they were in what we might consider "the heyday", they just have a larger set of priorities. Ultimately the future of the IUSSCAA will be in their hands.

Well said Dave with one exception. That's Ellis Sutter that deserves the BZ. I've pretty much been a kibitzer to the site but I sure have enjoyed it over the years and and I have a sincere appreciation for those who gave their time and energies to make it a success.

But your comments are on the money. Its a different time and different system and if the next generation cannot or will not be involved, I don't see a successful way ahead.

Ellis out

well im afraid im in the "old fart" category also (not as old as you smoky!)...but, Id like to see this site survive....even though I was a CIO (chief information officer) for years Im not much on sharing on Facebook or any of the other "social" sites...if there is anything I can do to help just let me know ....Id be happy to help carry the load...

Visits: