Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: OTM Training pays off!

As one of the very few, probably only one actually, who graduated OTM C school training prior to completing OTA school I have to say I still use my OTM training routinely. Working for the Undersea Warfighting Development Center Detachment at COMSUBGRU-7 Yokosuka Japan the staff consistently asks me how I know all the beamforming and technical aspects of SONAR. And all I can tell them is that old Navy Training, and specifically OT training has never had an equal.

Michael
BE ADVISED - This is a long, confused "senior ramble." You should do other, more important things than read this; mow the lawn; play with grandkids. Get a colonoscopy! You've been warned.

I suspect you're spot on with your claim. Your comment makes me think of the old "I before E" mnemonic. Something like: "'A' before 'M' unless you're named Lam..." Admittedly stretching both the rhyme and the analogy, but you get the idea.

The only IUSS types I know that might even come remotely close are:

1. Tom Uecker - if memory serves, he was a CT "M" school grad who converted to OTM about 1971. I don't know if he even went through OT M or A school; either one. But he was an analyst at heart.

2. Me - during my STG "A" in "67," there was a big sales pitch going to get guys to extend. For tacking on more two years, we could get A-2 phase tron training, a follow-on "C" school, and "presto 3rd class." When I learned about the Green Doors," I asked if I could extend for THAT training instead. They finally said yes. I went to about 16? weeks of A-2 training, and finished up with a 78 average. THEN I went behind the Green Doors for what was occasionally called "STO" training (I can't remember what the lofar NEC was - 0411? 0611?). Finally, I was off to lofarland. So I DID do electronics training before "STO." But it ain't the same as your claim.

Almost done, I swear.....

In Jan 71 I was back in KWEST for OT Maint school. The A-2 phase of Sonar training was a pre-req! I tried to decline it, told the powers-that-be I already HAD it...etc. no luck. I had to take or my contract would be void, etc....zzz.. So I did A-2 twice! Finished with about a 76 average. So but for "older Bud wiser." MY only real claim to USN training fame is that I attended STG A-2 phase twice!

The sad thing is.. I STILL haven't done my taxes! But I just spent an hour typing this up. At least I have my priorities straight! Best wishes and good health to you and yours.

Oops - almost forgot. You said "...the staff consistently asks me how I know..." That word "asks," in the present tense tells me that "things" are still going on. It's a nice thing to know.

Thanks for reminding me to do my taxes, Loren. I had forgotten all about them.

Jerry

Mike Lamczyk, nice to hear from you and I'm happy you're doing well. I always enjoyed working with you!

Randy, it is so good to see your reply. Because of unbelievable people like you I have had the most remarkable and rewarding professional career. Thinking back to our golden years in IUSS (1970's & 1980's) I can genuinely say I was fortunate to have worked among Giants who were not just great technicians but great people. I barely know my co-workers now but I can vividly remember everyone from the OT community.

Kind of you to say that, Mike. I'm not surprised you've done well for yourself, you always did. Sometimes I am still amazed when I think back to the dedication and commitment so many had, while making barely livable salaries. Our country got quite the bargain. :). Be blessed, my friend.

Before the conversion to OT, ETN/ETR ratings did the maintenance and repairs on the radios, transmitters, antennas, and fix sonar system (including tape recorders).

My expertise in computers and electronics just got better and better. It became my hobby as well. But what I did as an OTM was the best most diverse tech I was allowed to work on. When I get challenged there are so many examples to draw on.

Visits: