Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Shipmate Death

Regret to hear of Van Alstine's passing. I served with him at NavFac Argentia in 1964-65. He excelled in his duties and was an outstanding role-model for his shipmates. My condolences to his family.

Very sad! Van and I were station together in Brawdy. He was a legend and an icon in the community. He touched the hearts of all who knew him and will be sadly missed. My sincere condolences and prayers to his family. RIP shipmate, we have the watch.

Another sad day in the proceedings of the system. Served with Van in Argentia and had the good fortune of learning how to do a job and do it right, which was his trade mark.
I was called "Little Man" more often than I cared for as that Moniker normally meant that a job had not been done to his satisfaction. He was quick to ensure that I learned the correct way.
There were three men that influenced my career and Van was one of those three.. Although I hadn't seen Van in years, he was always part of my conversations regarding the "Old Days"
Rest in peace Master Chief. Rest in peace knowing that a lot of us "Little Men" are better off for having known and served with you.

John and Pat Ellis

Amen

Truly a sad day for us all. I was with Van in Argentia in the very early 70’s. He was the only section LPO I ever knew who could run a very efficient watch simply by sitting in a chair and watching everybody. You didn’t dare appear to be slacking off or bs’ing too much because he’d give out a roar and it was never pleasant. Van was definitely old school and so many of us learned a great deal from him. What a system giant he was! There are many memories I have of him but probably the best was when I was new plotter. I was running my first Type 6 with a Canadian Argus and my positioning wasn’t very close to where the Argus found our TOI. Van helped me fix it and said little…I thought I was off the hook. On our next mid watch I asked him if I could go back to electronics to get some E5 pracfacs signed off and he said “little man, you better learn how to run a Type6 before you worry about second class” (yep, John Ellis, that term was one of his trademarks!)
Van, the Navy and our system are far better off because of your presence. God bless you and may you truly rest in peace.

The legacy of a man is revealed by the stories told. If you had the good fortune to have served with Van, then you have a favorite story to tell. Van was a giant among us. He left a lasting impression, and made everyone around him better. He made me better. And when Van came in to relieve you, and said "I got it" - you continued to "replay" your watch in your mind as you drove away. And - if something wasn't right, you could be sure it would be found and corrected. We have lost some of our "giants" this past year, and that eternal watchbill is indeed "star-studded".

What a sad day. One of my most treasured possions is a photo of you and Van standing sholder-to-shoulder in dress blue uniform. I also have two treasured possessions that are in my memorabilia area. One is the card and E-7 anchors you gave me on the Midway visit after learning I was selected. The other was a tie bar with an E-9 anchor affixed that Van had worn for a long period after being selected. He gave it to me with his thanks for a well done ORI inpection just prior to my retirement. They both meant more than I could ever express.

I hope Linda is handling Van's passing like the strong sailor she is.

Damed sad news.weve lost another SOSUS giant, and great shipmate.

https://www.trainorfuneralhome.com/obituaries/Robert-E-VanAlstine?obId=31462393

Thanks James. It's been a while since we communicated. I hope Van's passing was with the whole family near. My best to you and everyone. Sad day when a mentor passes. I was just talking on the board here about your Dad when Nick Vanherpin passed.God Bless All... and Van... I'll be seeing you soon.

VAN WAS THE BEST. ARGENTIA AND BRAWDY WITH HIM.

WE HAD ROOMS NEXT TO EACH OTHER IN THE ARGENTIA BEQ.VAN SHOWED ME THE SIGHTS OF LOCAL TOWNS PLACENTIA,JERSEYSIDE.THE NEWFOUNDLANDERS LIKED HIM.HE WAS ONE OF THE GOOD "YANKS".

I served with Van in Brawdy as his LPO in QA when he was an OTCS. He helped form the "soft and fuzzy" leadership style I developed. I have always been thankful for that year with him. RIP Shipmate! ✝️πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ”±πŸ¦…❤️

Van and I went through the Green Door and then Grand Turk or Nantucket or both in 1956-1957. That was a long time ago, but he was someone you could never forget.

BEEN TALKING WITH BOB VANALSINES SON JAMES HE IS ALSO A SAILOR.VAN WAS A ICON TO OUR SYSTEM.

OTCM Robert VanAlstine was my first watch supervisor when I reported for duty at NAVFACKEF fresh out of Fleet Sonar School in August 1969. He was STG1 VanAlstine at the time and he got me off to a great start as a Reader during an era of busy operations at Keflavik. He was my mentor and set an exemplary military standard for me to follow. Our paths met again when he arrived at COSL (CINCLANTFLT Base) in 1972 where I served 1970-72. I will always hold "Van" in the highest respect as it was a true honor to serve with him. May he rest in eternal peace.
Bill Turner former OT2

Visits: