Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Passing of another IUSS shipmate, Les Polk

Another sad loss. I first met Les when he was on the ORI team in the late 60s and then served with him on BDA and at COSL twice, while he was military and then as he served as a civilian in the COSL analysis shop.
Really good guy and knew his stuff.
He will me missed. RIP my good friend.

John and Pat

We’ve been losing too many people lately! I knew Les well when I was in the COSL ANALYSIs/Intel shop, where he was a civilian analyst. One of my collaterals was SCIF officer and Les did a great job keeping all that stuff I was signed for in good order. Bless him for that! He also accompanied me to London and beyond during special trips and lent his knowledge and humor quite well. Chris and I offer our sincerest condolences to his family and pray that he is resting in peace on the other side.

I echo Randy's comment; our watch-bill is getting smaller and smaller in recent times. I was stationed with Les in Bermuda in the early 70's. He was somewhat of a sea-daddy to me and Deb and watched over this boot and his young family. I bought my first Moped from him and my wife and used extensively to travel to Hamilton, NAS and the beaches on a regular basis. He was a remarkable individual and will be sadly missed. My prayers to his family. RIP shipmate.

So Damm sad and depressing...Lester was such a good friend and a core member of the COSL Analysis shop. During my time in N33, Les was always available to lend a hand or provide advice to a young goober such as myself. Had so hoped to see him this September.

Les - I promise to look up and lift a glass to you in remembrance...keep smiling up there.

Sadly, The COSL N33 shop in the 1980-1982 time frame has now lost: Les, Jack, Ernie, Phil, Terry, and Stan. Hope Dave and Layne are taking care of themselves.

Anyone know the years Les was stationed at the following duty stations?

FLTASWTRACEN Key West
Navfac Puerto Rico
Navfac Keflavik Iceland
Navfac Bermuda
Navfac Brawdy Wales
NOPF Dam Neck, VA

Or have any photos with him? His family is asking..

Please let me know. I have asked Kathy for an email address to send to which I will put once received.

Thanks all!

Hello Janet

I have checked the association database and we do not have when he was at each station.

Sorry about that

As there are no IUSS data base records regarding Les's assignments and dates of service, consider checking his DD-214 for this info if his service records are available.

An apology is in order as I checked my RAD DD-214 (which I should have reviewed before posting the above) and there are no documentation of duty stations listed. Sorry about that!

Thanks for checking!

Got some info from folks stationed with him. Every little bit helps. He and Kathy met after he retired from the Navy so she was most familiar with his civilian career.

I’m going to his Memorial on August 3rd in Gainesville. I’ll post more info on that as she finalizes the details.

Janet, if I’m in town (Leesburg Fl) I’ll see you there

Randy

Look forward to seeing you!

Kathy Polk email:

My email is polkkm@gmail.com
Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule! I very much appreciate it!

She appreciates the info we have provided so far.

I served with Les in Bermuda in 73-74. He was the Analysis Chief and chewed my ass every chance he got. I deserved all of them.

Nick

Visits: