Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
U.S. revives Cold War submarine spy program to counter China

This makes for an interesting read.

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/usa-china-tech-surveillance/

Rick

Re: U.S. revives Cold War submarine spy program to counter China

Interesting article, thanks for sharing! It makes you wish the OT rating hadn’t been abolished and dedicated expert analysts were still around.

You got that right!!!

Concur, JRV. Talk about full circle. Drones and satellites, seems like science fiction compared to our days doing this work. Time to break out the red pencils and calculators. You better sharpen up that sonar equation.

John, I’ve simplified the equation just for you for your mid watch:

LN+IP+MW+HA=MT

LN-loud noise
IP- improper phase
MW- mid watch
HA- half asleep
MT- missed target

😂

Too funny! You made my day!

Just got around to reading the article and related comments on the msg board. Interesting indeed! You guys are hilarious!! If reincarnation is plausible, I am putting in a special request chit to come back as an OT with an acronym handbook that explains all those new terms (i.e. TRAPS, etc.) Counting on a HUGE reenlistment bonus.

I've been up all night creating some new Oral Board slides. Where is that overhead projector? Dim the lights.........action!!!

I can hear the drones and Robots crying out,

"Oh No, not a Widenor oral board!!!!!!!

Ellis

Quick story.

I took a Reader into his qual board with George, in Iceland in 1977. I'd been onboard about a month and didn't have a clue what I was doing. My guy didn't do well and George stopped the board, dismissed the sailor and turned to me.....

When I left the conference room, I was determined that would never happen again. I furiously copied every one of George's slides during the next board.

I used that notebook of slides to prepare my section for boards.

Jim Donovan appears on the watch floor on my Sunday day watch and wants the slides. I'd hidden their existence lest Big G find out. I finally relented, gave him the notebook and he and his board candidate sat by the DAC center studying.

Well, lo and behold, G comes in on the weekend and comes up behind Donovan and the slides. We're done, I think.

He grabs the slides and starts paging through them. Hmmmm he says. I've added some extras. He wants a copy.

He turns to Donovan and asks who made the slides. Donovan considered taking the heat for a millisecond and looks at me.

George glares at me for a few but it's all show. He says, "About time you knuckleheads (might have been a different descriptor) got with the **** program and trained your people.

He dropped the binder on the table and departed. I looked at Jim and him at me...not sure if we were going to be messcooks or SOQ candidates.

As all of you who had the privilege of working with Master Chief Widenor....it wasn't easy.

Best years of my career. Wish I could go back. I'd get Donovan in trouble, somehow.

That’s hilarious, Nick. I had an OT2 in my section who was scared to death of George. I told him, jokingly I think, to go into his plotter OB and state “I’m here for my plotter’s board and nobody in this room can intimidate me” He actually did it 😂 He’s the same guy who secretly called George the Crusher. George was told this and he came in one night and while standing over one of the plots he suddenly asked the guy “what’s this Crusher shyt?” I swear, his heart stopped and I was afraid he was going into total arrest. He survived to plot another day though 😂

Visits: