Old Glory Baseball League Forum

______________2008 - 2018______________

Old Glory Baseball League Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bryce Harper

I just read SI article on Bryce Harper. They claim he is the next ARod or Griffey. If it's true, that sure would help the Nats. I don't know for sure how the draft order works. Is it solely worst record or a lottery like the NBA.

Re: Bryce Harper

Worst gets first Barry. You'll see compensatory picks in between which could get interesting. The Mariners almost didn't sign 2008 20th pick Josh Fields and could have had yet another pick at that spot in the 2009 draft.

The Nationals could fail to sign Strasburg and would receive and 2nd overall pick next year as compensation. If they finish with the worst record this year, they could theoretically have the first 2 picks in next years draft!

A better example is Aaron Crow. Nats couldn't sign him at number 9 in 2009 and got the 10th pick O/A this year drafting another pitcher named Drew Storen as compensation.

The Yankees couldn't sign some guy named Garrit Cole and I don't even know where he ended up this year but it wasn't the first round.

(Crow went to KC at number 12).

It will be interesting to see how KC does signing Crow. I doubt he wants to waste a 2nd year, but they are known to pretty cheap.