Old Glory Baseball League Forum

______________2008 - 2018______________

Old Glory Baseball League Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New League

I've been doing some thinking about joining a new league. I've been checking out a site on CBS that has a place where commissioners put up "ads" to recruit new team owners. I've now replied to 3 of them and have received back their league constitutions and other info.
With each one of the replies I have gotten back, all coming from a very well organized person who is really into fantasy Baseball and has a well run league.
BUT, each time I can't help but find a reason that the league in question has something that just says, "Sorry, but no thanks, I'll pass". All 3 that I have checked out make our league look pretty simple, and since I am a simple kind of guy I guess I just get a little overwhelmed when looking at their rules, scoring systems, etc.
Maybe it's just a little too deep for me, or a little too confusing. The more I check into other leagues, the more I like the OGBL. For instance, when I check out a box score, be it online or a sportspage, I like to be able to add my score up in my head. I don't want to use a calculator or try to figure out a formula.
It looks like I'll probably end up just joining a free league at CBS, something I can do with my 12 year old grandson who wants to get into it in 2010.

If any of you are looking for a league that is more indepth than the OGBL, they are out there. Myself, I prefer keep things as clear and easy as possible, both for me as the commissioner and you guys, the team owners.

Re: New League

I'm just happy to hear that you still like our league, even if some of us drive you crazy sometimes.

Scoring System

This is one of the scoring systems I ran across, how would you like adding those numbers up in your head?

Scoring for Batting Categories
1B - Singles 5 points
2B - Doubles 10 points
3B - Triples 15 points
BB - Walks (Batters) 3 points
CYC - Hitting for the Cycle 30 points
HP - Hit by Pitch 3 points
HR - Home Runs 20 points
KO - Strikeouts (Batter) -3 points
R - Runs 8 points
RBI - Runs Batted In 8 points
SB - Stolen Bases 10 points

Scoring for Pitching Categories
B - Balks -3 points
BBI - Walks Issued (Pitchers) -3 points
BS - Blown Saves -15 points
CG - Complete Games 15 points
ER - Earned Runs -5 points
HA - Hits Allowed -3 points
HB - Hit Batsmen -3 points
INN - Innings 15 points
IRS - Inherited Runners Scored -3 points
K - Strikeouts (Pitcher) 5 points
L - Losses -15 points
NH - No-Hitters 30 points
S - Saves 30 points
SOP - Save Opportunities 5 points
W - Wins 30 points

Re: Scoring System

God, Jimi that would be awful. (and the league probably has trading as well... LOL)

Don't think my brain could calculate all that.Nothing wrong with looking into other leagues.It's a good way to find ideas to improve your league or realize that what you have is superior to all the rest.

Wow that would be rough. I assume they use a stat service but it would make a close sunday hard to call.

Re: Scoring System - Barry

The guy that uses that system has his league at CBS. When I brought up his system and questioned him about game outcomes, he sent me the scores of all the games.
I didn't see what I could call a real close game in the whole season. Scores like 1854-1397 and 1732-1603. The closest one I seen was 1528-1497. As you know, I'm a fan of close matchups and this league was not for me.

Re: Scoring System - Barry

Tp paraphrase Groucho, " I would never join a league that would accept me as a member."