Old Glory Baseball League Forum

______________2008 - 2018______________

Old Glory Baseball League Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Best Value pick

I vote for Denard Span picked late in the 17th round by Eagle(Dick).

Let me clarify my pick. I'm not talking bout rookie sleepers who haven't done anything concrete yet or veterans who based on past performance might bounce back to former levels.

I'm talking about guys who performed well last year and based of a variety of factors have a good chance on improving on point production this year. Then, factor in the round that they were picked.

So, with that criteria, Span is my pick. He scored 492 last year, should play more games than last year, and is secure in batting first in an improved AL lineup.

I see him scoring somewhere between 500 and 550 this year.

He was somebody that I feel I let slip away. :-(

Anyone else care to make a pick. I'll bet there are a lot of schools of thought on this question.

Re: Best Value pick

I forgot one thing, the pick shouldn't be from your own team.

I would nominate Prado by Doodles in the 15th. Prado will put up competitive points for either 2B or 3B and would not kill you playing occationally at 1B.

I also like McGehee in the 20th by Salem. I picked both of them off the wire last year and they were awesome. Both will get 100+ more AB and should put up 425 - 450 points IMO.

I picked Prado because of his eligibility at 1B, 2B, & 3B and he's set to bat 2nd in the Braves' lineup. He's hit .300 in the last 2 yrs., he's only 26, so he looks, at least on paper, like he could fill in very capably if one of my IF goes down for any period. I also agree with Barry as far as McGehee, who has been played down in many so called experts' opinion, but who put up very nice numbers for Mil. last year.

Juan Pierre in the 22nd is another great pick.

In his 06 and 07 playing full time, Juan scored 470 and 490 points. Last year as a part timer he scored 302 in 380 at bats.

As a full timer and batting leadoff for an AL team in a hitter's ballpark and a manager who wants to run, Pierre should be in the 475 to 525 range.

Not too shabby for the 22nd round.

I'm hoping my 27th player, Felipe Lopez, will be a good value pick for me. I got him, hopefully to use as a multi-positional back up guy. He only qualifies as a 2B right now, but the Cardinals and LaRussa like him as a multi utility player. I hope he is soon eligible at SS and 3B. The last player picked of the draft, who scored 464 pts last yr, looked like a good gamble to me. Only time will tell.

I might be thinking a bit too far ahead, but maybe not? I'm reading alot about Jason Heyward lately, he looks to be a special player, and it could happen this year. Drafted in the 15th round, #169 OA. I have C&P'ed the 13th and 14th rounds here so each of you will remember who you took instead of Jason Heyward. ....
14.166 Rafael Soriano RP TB Air Force 1
14.165 Andy Pettitte SP NYY FAH Generals
14.164 Scott Feldman SP TEX Socks Nation
14.163 Aaron Harang SP CIN 20th Maine
14.162 Francisco Rodriguez RP NYM Yankee Doodles
14.161 Bengie Molina C SF MinuteMen
14.160 Aroldis Chapman SP CIN Fly Like An Eagle
14.159 Ted Lilly SP CHC AROXX
14.158 Bronson Arroyo SP CIN Big Red One
14.157 Randy Wolf SP MIL The Eyes of Texas
13.156 Brian Fuentes RP LAA The Eyes of Texas
13.155 Joe Blanton SP PHI Big Red One