Old Glory Baseball League Forum

______________2008 - 2018______________

Old Glory Baseball League Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
InterLeague Play

It's here again and with it comes a heads up for all fantasy managers. With that said, I know that some of you do not like it, but like it or not it's something that is here and is a part of the game.
I can go either way with it, as I do like some of the matchups that it brings.

Anyone care to share your thoughts about it?

PS - Ted, I already know how much you dislike it. But if you want to say it again, you are welcome to do so.

Re: InterLeague Play

Being in NY, I like it. Mets vs. Yankees is like play-off atmosphere. Fans love it and I'm a fan.

I can't believe they have played more than a season's worth of games total since inception. I just saw a stat on that on BB2N.

Anyhow, I don't care one way or the other about inter-league play although playing the Padres might as well be Spring Training. I have to admit, when the Cubs or a team like the Marlins come to town, I'm intrigued. I mean, would I want more games against Oakland instead? Not really.

You know me though, I'm a bigger proponent of a shorter season. This year aside, if it snows in several cities in April, hitters are always resting, pitchers are babied more, double headers are taboo - lets just shorten everything and give it 100% the whole year. We could eliminate inter-league play to do it :)

On the M's game broadcast tonight, they pointed out something interesting. They felt if you were going to do inter-league play, might as well go the whole 9 yards and play by the opposite league's rules too. They used Edgar Martinez as an example saying it was a shame that when the M's went to an N.L. city, those fans didn't get to see him play. Thought I would mention it, I never thought of it that way...

Kelly that would give the AL too big an advantage. The DH in the AL is a guy that gets paid 10 million, when the NL uses a DH it is the #1 scrub off the bench probably earning 400 thousand. Far as I am concerned it messes everything up and takes away from the World Series. But like TV controling baseball, it is just something we have to live with.

It's fine by me also, but I would like to see it more limited....

I have said I didn't like inter league Jimi,but the main reason is pitchers batting.The whole world has a DH except for the NL.The Yankees lost a great P in Wang running the bases & he may have lost his career.Last year Peavy got hurt running the bases.Another reason,1st inning hitters go down 1-2-3,2nd inning they get couple of guys on base with 2 outs,intl walk the next hitter & who do you have?A P who waves at 3 pitches & the inning is over.Then for our fantasy league my P gives up 1 or 2 runs in 5 innings but his team doesn't score so they pinch hit for him & he's done for the day.No chance for a W,CG,more Ks & IP.NL pitchers do get a few more Ks if they stay in the game tho.Also teams play different teams,the ones playing AL East have a much tougher schedule than Central or West which could affect who gets the wild card.