Old Glory Baseball League Forum

______________2008 - 2018______________

Old Glory Baseball League Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: New Play Off System Part 3

I also like it as-is but will adapt as needed. I like that if you are in, you are in and it's exciting. If you lose, don't have what it takes to win it all and be involved in the last 3 weeks...you get to concentrate on real baseball without that fantasy bias. If that makes sense...

if my math is correct that's 3 managers plus the commish who want to leave things as is. Need a few more to weigh in on this one.

What most of us don't like about week #26 is that a lot of teams that have clinched sit a lot of regulars for many games. So I believe is we can go 1 of 2 ways. First leave things as it is but move everything 1 week; meaning, let the regular season go 19 weeks instead of 20. Second way is to let regular season stay at 20 weeks, but only the top 8 teams qualify for the playoffs and the other 4 play a consolation playoffs. I know we had a #9 seeded win the overall last year, but how often is that going to happen? I like the top 8 teams qualify for the championship only. My 2 cents worth. If no one likes either of these, then I'm for leaving everything the way it is.

Re: Reply To Jose

Thanks for your input Jose. I'll add my feelings on this now.
I will say this about shortening the regular season. It's something I don't believe in as it takes away a week of play for all 12 teams so 2 teams can play week #25 instead of week #26. Something we need to keep in mind, week #26 effects only 2 of the 12 teams in our league, and if you look at previous results, the 2 out of 3 series, sometimes the 3rd week isn't even used.
Using a weekly lineup I can see this being more of an issue, but with the ability to change lineups each day there's really not that much to be concerned with in using week #26. JMO
But, if there is enough owners who want to do away with it, going to the 8/4 system is an option too. This is something that does not need to be decided on right now, meaning we do have time here.

Re: Reply To Jose

I'm for leaving it as is. The "deal breaker" for me, is that I don't want a "consolation" winner, having first pick in the next draft.

My first comment is this highlights just how lucky I was this year as using the other two formats, I don't even finish in the top 4.

My experience with playing week 26 this year is I ended up with only 7 pitching starts and was barely able to even make a full lineup each day and took some zeros from guys getting rested. That kind of sucked but I don't think it mattered in the end as Brian had some of the same problems and the final game wasn't really very close. Jimi pointed out earlier there's only a 50% chance you use week 26 anyways and both teams deal with the same stuff so I say give us Free Agent moves up till the bitter end and leave the season and playoffs alone. One request I would make though is that once a team is eliminated from the playoffs, they aren't allowed to make any more moves.

Wow, I'm surprised everyone is so nice. lol I would say the 8-4 set up is good. I cant say my teams the past couple years have deserved a shot at the title. Sometimes that's just the way it is. 25 or 26 weeks doesn't matter as much to me.