The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 70s Columbo so much more experimental than 80s/90s Columbo

objection!

in the later series, they did many other experiment...such as columbo cries wolf and rip mrs columbo...

Actually, I'd say directors had far LESS brevity to dabble in untried techniques due to the hurried pace in which the weekly episodes had to be produced back then. I think that's why the first five (and only) seasons (in my view) came across with the charmingly crafted feel you see as experimentation. It wasn't until the post 70's installments that they had time to plan and compute each scene, and interestingly enough, those would be the ones I'll never have any use for.

There is a real blandness surrounding those 80s/90s columbo films, too. The humour is just too broad at times, even with regard to the murderers, where the music also displays humorous overtones, sometimes even before the murders are committed. The 70s episodes were delivered with much more of a seriousness, and a sense of conviction. They were far more edgy, and that reflected in the choice of music too, and were less inclined to go off at a tangent, into unnecessary trivialities etc. when the chance arose. I preferred the look of the finished film too, as in the quality and look of those 70s films. The 80s/90s films have a slickness about them, i find less appealing.

However, on a positive note, i believe some of the writing, as in the basic premise of a number of the stories are quite good in the later films (but certainly not always), even at times rivaling some of 70s films, but the finished execution on screen is never really as good. The music does play such an important part, too, and the 70s music at times had much more gravitas, as in reflecting the true nature of the murders that were being committed - almost arty, in some ways. The later choices of music just aren't in the same league. Yes, the occasional camera angles, use of slow motion, and the occasional classical music touches were so wonderfully effective, back in the early days.

I think there are three big flaws with 90s Columbo ultimately that forever puts it on a lower plane from the weakest of 70s Columbo even.

#1-Too much broad humor, and the fact that Falk by this point plays Columbo more with the air of self-conscious caricature. When you see him play Columbo at this point you might as well also be seeing him play the role in some comedy sketch and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Gone are all the wonderful bits of subtle nuance hinting that the real Columbo underneath all the quirks is a very brilliant individual.

#2-Weak plotting in clues and payoff ones. Many 90s Columbos often take forever just to get to the murder so as to cut down on the time we'll see investigating and the piling up of little clues leading to the big gotcha moment. And I would like to call special attention to one of the most overused clue devices in 90s Columbo that unfortunately also had its roots of overuse back in 70s Columbo of "Columbo sees something wrong on the tape." This device was okay in "Etude In Black" and "Playback" but come the 90s when it would be used over and over, it was something the viewer could smell from a mile off and when the viewer can do it, that reveals sloppy writing.

#3-Many 90s Columbos seem to go out of their way to evoke a style of film noir and that is not appropriate for Columbo. Film noir detectives are supposed to be hardened cynical types. A Columbo story should take place in the brightly lit sunshine and evoke a "drawing room mystery" that often isn't there in 90s Columbo.

Eric, I think you analyzed it perfectly, I agree with every word. (I also agree with many of the things others have written in this thread.)

When you speak of the "Real Columbo underneath" you hit on one of my favorite things about the early shows. It was very clear from the first episodes (and the two pilots) that Columbo was two different people: one to the murderers and one to everyone else. When he knew that someone wasn't involved in a crime, he would play things fairly straightforward. He didn't act like a forgetful bumbler. He was tough and matter of fact. He would also drop the bumbler act when the murderer knew that he knew they were the guilty party and saw through his act. Then he would just be himself. I liked it when Robert Conrad's character,Milo, confronted him in the hospital waiting room:

Milo: "Your health program didn't last very long."

Columbo, "Long enough."

Milo: "You know something, Columbo: You're a devious man."

Columbo: "That's what they tell me."

I loved this aspect of his character!