The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Should The Columbo Series Have Finished In The Seventies

I am very thankful that "Columbo" was able to extend beyond the '70s, especially after it was brought to my attention that Bing Crosby and Lee J. Cobb--both considered for the role before Falk--were no longer around in the '80s.

More of a percentage of the original NBC Columbo episodes make my A-list, although the following treasures from the ABC years prove to be just as worthy of respect as all of the originals:

Columbo Cries Wolf
Agenda for Murder
Rest in Peace, Mrs. Columbo
Columbo Goes to College
Butterfly in Shades of Grey

Good list, David! Those are all terrific episodes, better my many measures than some of the 70s efforts. On balance, I think Columbo's legacy was more enhanced, than degraded (as some claim) by these looks at how Columbo worked as he matured.

To those who complain that Columbo became a caricature of himself, my take -- having once worked for a very eccentric old man who was a "living legend" in his profession --has been that this is exactly what happens, in real life, when these great minds roll on. They have learned what works, they have tested what they can get away with it, and they push the envelope by working their best tricks more blatantly, just because they enjoy it, and know that indeed they can get away with it and win. So yes, they do become more cartoonish, but this is based on real-life with such extraordinary characters.

Admittedly, one negative change in the later episodes is that the killers (certainly with notable exceptions) were less often top-quality actors, than in the 70s. To be candid, this was perhaps because Peter's salary demands dominated the budget as the network became more stingy about production costs.

I've said these two things a lot of times (though over a long period of time, so hopefully it isn't too annoying), but I have only two very obvious problems with the later version.
First, that they were tempted too often to give him some "tough cop" kind of partner (at least, compared to HIM). I know that made them an odd couple kind of team, which could be considered entertaining, but I've never cared for it. I like the later ones that gave him a low-key Bruce Kirby kind of partner (whether played by Bruce himself or someone else) a lot better.
Second, I just can't stand handcuffs in any Columbo episode. I know that when it comes to "NIGHTLIFE" and "COLLEGE," a lot of you like the sight of "young punk" killers walking away in handcuffs, but there just aren't any exceptions to that rule for me!

Ted,
you make a very good point. Though I will have to say that in general I would prefer early Columbo over later Columbo, there are some very worthy episodes in the later run, too, and I certainly do not think it was a mistake to bring him back.
I was particularly intrigued, however, by your comment about how the development in his character may reflect a real development in a person such as Columbo. He is, by nature, humble and somewhat absent-minded, and this leads to him being underestimated by his opponents. As this 'keeps working for him', might he not - deliberately or not - come to exaggerate these traits over time?
A similar case in point may be Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot - yes, he really is conceited and prissy, but he also plays upon this to create a "comic foreigner" persona.
And in both cases the interesting question is maybe: how much of his behaviour is an act?

I think the main issue with the post 70's Columbo's is that the TV shows were consistently dumbed down for the modern audience. If you look at shows from the 70's they had more sophistication and subtleties than the latter ones did. I think it's a result of the average audience member being less literate than they used to be. People read less than they used to; at least in terms of narrative fiction, and are, as a result, less able to follow the complexities of a story than they used to be. This isn't just true of Columbo, but of cartoons (compare the old Warner Brothers Bugs Bunny and the old Fleischer Popeye's with junk like Smurfs, Sponge Bob etc.) and other shows in general. Our society has devolved in terms of sophistication and so our entertainment has been dumbed down as well.

The newer episodes HAD to be done, if not we would all be helplessly lamenting "if only there were more episodes". Good or bad at least we have them.

In the 70's Columbo would identify, intimidate and agitate the murderer into almost giving himself up. That's what was so much fun about watching the first Columbos. All of them had this edgy element of Columbo agitating the murderer with every new clue. Think of Columbo and Dale Kingston, Paul Hanlon, Dr. Mayfield, Mark Halpern, etc. the fun is in watching the murderer unravel as Columbo picks up clues and taunts them with their own guilt.

In the new ones it feels like Columbo is just going through the motions using experience and the friendly old man personality. But this is how it had to be, Peter Faulk had to be natural and that's how the character came to him.

"Murder can Be Hazardous" was scripted exactly like any typical 70s episode. But Peter Faulk and Columbo are 20yrs older and this is how it came out. I don't think Peter wanted to try and act 20 years younger I think he just had to play his role in the way it came natural to him and that's what we got.

And by the way, in comparing two George Hamilton episodes, I like "Hazardous" much better than "Deadly State Of Mind" . The 90s beats the 70s with this one.

My question would be, though, can a 'friendly old man' truly be able to manipulate murderers into confessing? or at the very least seem articulate enough to carry the investigation to them, as a way of searching for answers?
The comments surrounding the Columbo character changing over time is perhaps relevant to every day people in their daily lives, because that is undoubtedly part of life, but for a cop, with a more vital role of bringing these murderers to justice, i think a more hardened streak and an assertive manner are highly important. Often with the 'newer' Columbo's i get the feeling that the actors playing the parts of the murderers are actually downplaying their roles slightly, as to not overwhelm Peter Falk's performance. Back in the seventies actors like Jack Cassidy and Richard Kiley were so intensely assertive, Columbo had to be their equal, as in a sense of being able to hold his own. Falk was very much in his element within the effectiveness of his delivery from seasons 1-6, where there was always an strongly assertive streak, underlying his character, even when, for example, those subtle hints of comedy were at their most prevalent. Whatever was going down, it wasn't uncommon for Columbo to show that ruthless steely determination, and moments when perhaps he was prepared to fly off the handle.

Season seven was great in terms of storylines, clues, and special guest stars, but i could no longer quite take to Peter Falk's portrayal of Columbo in the same way. Perhaps the caricature of Columbo truly started here.

New Columbo didn't try to badger the murder into confession anymore he just used his experience to gather enough evidence to make an arrest, it was all routine. He didn't torment the suspect anymore he just gathered evidence and followed clues.

In the seventies he kept in mind that this person he was dealing with actually killed someone and used the high ground to pursue them until justice was served. So much fun to watch.

As for the actors, I think they were following Peter's lead and bouncing off of his acting. Peter set the tone of the show and I think the actors followed that tone. George Hamilton is a good example of this, he just responded naturally to a friendly old man smiling while making accusations. Had the old Columbo questioned him his reactions would have been different.

I definitely think Peter could have played the old Columbo in the new episodes and I really wish he would have at least tried. One thing that bother's me the most about the new episodes is his tribute to WC Fields, he makes many comments with that WC Fields accent and I really don't like it.

In a word ... YES.

The Columbo I recognize ended with "Last Salute to the Commodore" which was not only an ironic cap, it was easily the worst installment of the original series ever produced.

As far as I'm concerned, anything made after that rates as nothing more than commercial overkill.

Of course, a few episodes in the 6th and 7th seasons had some merit, but not nearly enough to warrant a purchase of the DVD's.