The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Most emotional endings?

About "Old fashioned murder", I agree that Joyce van Patten plays a powerfull and subtle role of a woman who has lost almost everything after a terrible love deception, and there is a double edge side in this character, where her humanity still fights her huge void which took over her. The final scene is very powerfull on many sides : Columbo who's very embarrassed because he feels like he's forced to lie about the fact JvPatten killed actually the father of her niece, but especially the very last moment where she asks Columbo to give her his arm, which is very symbolic, as a last victory over the woman (her sister) who destroyed her life. I find this very touching.

"Try and catch me" is very emotional too. The great music does its effect and the story is quite simple in fact. Right from the beginning, the old woman shoes obvious signs of culpability, and it shows that she has already abandonned the fight. She took revenge, yes, and she didn't regret that because justice wasn't done about the death of her niece, but commiting a murder was obviously not a thing that she could cope with, because the void of the disparition of her niece has made effect on her for a relatively time already. The last scene was also touching, when Columbo found the note and made her read aloud, and her last reflexion about justice which was never done about her niece, reflexion which will remain answerless while the beautiful melancholical music concludes the episode.

"Make me a perfect murder" was also emotional to me. The story about an ambitious woman who tried to deal with the difficulty to make her place in a mainy manly business. We can see that she is compassionate and that's a thing she also has to deal with (I think especially about the moment where she says to her boss "I'm as hard as you are" or something like that, which shows in a way her "weakness"). As I said somewhere else, there is a paradox between her humanity and compassion, and her strong willing to make her way in a man's business as in her general life. She wants to keep this humanity and she realizes that it's not compatible with her ambitions, and that paradox is very interesting and touching. The final scene also has something special. The music there again has its effect, and the humanity and sensibility of this woman shows itself again a last time when she says (excuse-me, I translate directly from the french version) "After that, I know well what I'll be doing. I'll fight and I'll get over it, and maybe I'll win...", and where the willing to fight in her life expressed by her words contrasts with the humanity and sensibility of how she says it, almost with a kind of sadness or amertume in her voice at the end. I found this very touching too.

You have also "Sex and the married detective" which I don't really remember well, but which had also an emotional ending. The dark black-red color of the scene, together with the fire (if I remember well) and the music made an appropriate mood, and the speech of the woman about sexuality and desire was moving too.

In another category, you have "lady in waiting" which has to me, a disturbing ending. A woman who experienced her brother as being deeply invasive and after the murder, a complete transformation into a cold-heart woman, destroyed by a powerfull feeling of anger that she kept over the years until it brutally explodes. With the "ghosty" music, the end made me kinda afraid and disturbed somehow...

Re: Most emotional endings?

Those are fantastic comments about "Old Fashioned Murder", noorvensen. In my take on it, I really didn't go into much detail as to why it was so emotional, but you hit the nail on the head. I agree on "Make Me a Perfect Murder", too; that ending, and really the whole episode, really does a good job giving humanity to Kay Freestone's character. And also as you mentioned, "Lady in Waiting" is powerful. Both that and "Make Me a Perfect Murder" had terrific actresses portraying those characters, even though they seemed to be relatively unknown compared with those starring in other episodes.