The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Laurel and Hardy in Moonraker?

Lucerne
Anybody know if Laurel and Hardy were the Dobermans in Moonraker? Only about a year between the two being filmed.

I don't know the answer to that question.

I often wondered if they were the same dogs (Apollo and Zeus) in Magnum, P.I. which started in 1980.

Found some info on this website http://magnum-mania.com/Characters/Zeus_Apollo.html

According to Larry Manetti's book Aloha Magnum, Zeus and Apollo were played by several different Doberman Pinchers throughout the show's run. In the first half of Season One, three local Doberman Pinchers were used, two female dogs named "Cola" and "Nohea", and one male named "Joe". When their trainer, Karl Lewis Miller, left the show mid-season, professional Hollywood animal trainer Scott E. Hart was brought in as the official animal supervisor for the show. At the beginning of Season Two, the producers had Scott Hart bring his own dogs from the mainland, and they were two males and one female. The two males were "Whiskey" and "Brutus" and the female was "Dominique". At the beginning of Season Four, Scott was told that the dogs were being written out of the script in order to save costs. However, the "Lads" were saved by Tom Selleck and John Hillerman who didn't want the show to go on without them!

And I would put money on that Laurel and Hardy were used in the 1972 movie The Doberman Gang.

Maybe they were used in 'The Boys From Brazil' which was also made in 1978.

In 'Where the Buffalo Roam (1980) Bill Murray playing Hunter S Thompson uses a Doberman to attack a stuffed Richard Nixon.