The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: A&E's editing of the series

Concerning "Etude in Black", I know one fairly extensive, but not necessarily important, scene I first discovered when I viewed the DVD version was where Janice and her mother meet the two men at the restaurant. I thought that scene conveyed, among other things, a strong sense of how troubled Janice had become following the murder, having a lingering suspicion about her husband. I think it's a pretty good scene, and it's a shame it had been missing for so long on television. One scene that I wanted to mention, that was cut from "Murder by the Book", was the well-framed (though admittedly morbid) shot of Ken gesturing toward Jim's body with drinking glass in hand, as if to "toast" the man he had just murdered. It's one of the few gruesome scenes in the series, so I wonder if that was part of the reason it was cut (besides the fact that it has absolutely no story significance, other than cementing the fact that Ken is a really creepy guy).