The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Godfather Connections

Interesting topic.

Well, Bruno Kirby (son of "Columbo" regular Bruce Kirby) played a cadet in "By Dawn's Early Light," and he appeared as the young Clemenza in "Godfather II". He was also in one of the later Columbo movies, "Strange Bedfellows".

G.D. Spradlin, as you noted, was Ruth Gordon's lawyer in "Try And Catch Me," and he also was in "Godfather II," as a Senator.

George Hamilton was in Godfather Part III -- if you count that one as a "Godfather" movie -- and of course he played the murderer in 2 "Columbo" episodes.

Years ago we got an interesting email from a family member of Rudy Bond, who was Don Cuneo in the original "Godfather" movie, telling us that Rudy's relatives were trying to determine which "Columbo" episode he was in. Apparently it was a small, uncredited part, but Rudy often told his family about having appeared in "Columbo" -- unfortunately we weren't able to track that down, as far as I remember.

And there may be more. But your overall point is a good one, that we would "expect" there to be a lot of crossover, given the similar era and crime themes, and yet there don't seem to be a lot of them. Vito Scotti, as you mention, is probably the best example.

I think that Alex Rocco (Moe Greene) WOULD'VE made a very good COLUMBO actor, either as the killer or the victim or a funny supporting character. It just occurred to me, but he would been good as a victim who's very "confrontational" with the killer, like Gene Stafford and a few others.

I agree, Grant! There are a number of crossovers that seemingly "should have" happened, but somehow didn't. As another example, it's a little surprising that Robert Loggia (the nightclub owner in "Now You See Him") was NOT in any of the "Godfather" movies, since he was prolific and good in such roles. It's fun to see "Columbo" semi-regular Vito Scotti in his great "Godfather" role, but then Vito was in pretty much everything wasn't he!

Brett Halsey was in The Godfather Part III and played the victim's lover in Death Lends a Hand.

Hi.

Don't forget Michael V. Gazzo, who played Frankie Pentangeli in "The Gorfather II" and Vittorio Rossi in "Murder under glass".

Regards.

Hi there,

1. Peter Falk
According to "Just One More Thing" written by Peter Falk himself, he was asked to appear in The Godfather as Moe Green; he refused, because the role was too small to accept.

2. Timothy Carey
Coppola fell head over heels for Timothy Carey and tried to use him in the first series, but Carey refused the offer. Coppola could not give up using Carey, so he offered a role in The Godfather Part 2 again. Carey, however, did not accept the offer again. The attached link shows you some details and it's interesting.

[Source] "Filmcomment - Cracked Actor: Timothy Carey" by Grover Lewis
http://www.filmcomment.com/article/cracked-actor-timothy-carey

Yours,
Hide

Thanks all for great information. As for Robert Loggia he was in a movie called The Don's Analyst. I am not sure but I think it predates the Analyze This movies. I thought this movie was very funny, and I think other Columbo fans would like it. I went to IDMB and it only received a 4.8 out of 10 but I give it much higher than that.
Thanks again

All the examples I could think of were mentioned, but Columbo (Falk) himself came across very much like a Godfather in Murder Under Glass. In fact, that entire episode felt like a slice of everyday life in the mafia.

Yes, I see what you mean about Murder Under Glass. I remember even that at the beginning a detective whispers in Columbo's ear and then Columbo, very Godfather like, calls the murderer over. He remains Godfather like throughout the episode.

It seems that during the sixth and seventh season the writers and PF decided to make Columbo a bolder detective, who cannot be toyed with. PF brings this off fantastically.

Ed
It seems that during the sixth and seventh season the writers and PF decided to make Columbo a bolder detective, who cannot be toyed with. PF brings this off fantastically.
Yes, there was a very distinct change in the Columbo persona. Not that it was bad necessarily, I just never warmed up to the character as an out-of-the-box force to be reckoned with. That's why the series ended for me at the close of the 5th season.