The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: What fictitious place or thing in "Columbo" would you want to visit/experience in reality?

Standing near the abandoned junkyard whie Eddie Kane is hurling every type of homemade explosive known to man!

Re: What fictitious place or thing in "Columbo" would you want to visit/experience in reality?

I would like to take a ride on the tram in 'Short Fuse' I believe i saw this in another 70's show (maybe mission impossible?)Anyone know this location? Is it still there and operating?

I believe that's the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway shown in Short Fuse, and yes, looks like it's still around:
http://www.pstramway.com/history.html

Along the same lines as the Abigail Mitchell books, it would also be fun to read the Mrs. Melville books.

Mark
I would like to take a ride on the tram in 'Short Fuse' I believe i saw this in another 70's show (maybe mission impossible?)

I'm pretty sure the tram was featured in an episode of "I Spy," maybe that's what you're remembering.

As a huge fan of Agatha Christie, I'd love to read some of Abigail Mitchell's mysteries. I also wouldn't mind visiting the deserted ranch/movie set from How to Dial a Murder, the spot where the murderer trains the Dobermans.

All of these are wonderful, very fun to read! I particularly love the idea of getting a haircut by Darrell He's definitely one of the funniest "side" characters for me.
I also got to thinking about places that are real-world locations, such as the Travel Town Museum in "Identity Crisis", that are places which one could even now actually visit, and very easily I suppose if one lived in the Los Angeles area or surrounding environs. Of course, it wouldn't have the same sort of feel these days, I would guess. I wonder if there are any forum users that lived in the area around 1975 and perhaps visited that location during that time?

Abigail Mitchell's studio; Joan Allenby clinic

I'd like to visit a place that isn't even shown, simply because of how I IMAGINE it would look, and that's Rodger's home in SHORT FUSE. Judging by his hairstyle and wardrobe, it would probably be full of stereotyped early ' 70s things. And I use the word "stereotyped" in a nice way, since I enjoy those things, and without any real "irony" about it (I'm sitting a few feet away from a black light and a lava lamp).

The Chateau in Columbo Cries Wolf

I hadn't thought about the places that aren't seen on the series, but that is an interesting take on it, Grant. Thinking in that vein, it would be wonderful to see the rose garden Colonel Rumford refers to in by "Dawn's Early Light", perhaps even while he was there, tending it. I would suspect he'd be doing it with an expression on his face very similar to the one he has in talking about it.
Anyway, thank you everyone for your interesting responses; I'm looking forward to seeing what other places, books etc. fans come up with.

Coincidentally, I just saw BY DAWN'S EARLY LIGHT last week (it's a coincidence because I have a habit of watching most recordings of any given thing only about once a year, to keep the novelty). That "wistful" way he describes the roses stays with me too.

That's a good habit; I should practice it more often myself. There have been a couple episodes (namely "Dead Weight" and "Fade in to Murder") that I recently viewed after not seeing them for several years, and it was certainly a refreshing experience (for a long time they were toward the bottom of my "favorites" list, but after seeing them again after so long, I have a new appreciation for them, though they're still by no means in my top range of favorite episodes).

Like Irene DeMilo, I would like to see the salon in LADY IN WAITING, though it would be hard to want to leave the lobby area due to Barbara Rhoades' character sitting there.
(Of course, the same is true of the amusement park in IDENTITY CRISIS, due to her character in that one.)

The same is true of Gloria West's apartment in GREENHOUSE JUNGLE, but not just for the obvious reason. Even though Arlene Martel as Gloria completes the picture in a huge way, it seems like a very nice apartment to begin with. (Yes, I know it's supposed to be because she's a "kept woman" - to some degree or other - but that part is none of my business!)

I would like to eat at Barney's Beanery and then grab a bite for dessert from the Ding a Ling ice cream truck.

I collect militaria (mainly copies, but so what?), so between character actor Timothy Carey as Barney and his souvenirs in DEAD WEIGHT, I'd certainly like to go there.

Not a fictious place but going back in time to the early 1970's. Being born in 1967 the early 70's are my first true memories. I would like to go back to my parents house in my small Pennsylvania hometown on a Sunday night in the early 70's while The Most crucial game, A stitch in Crime" "Etude in Black" or many other episodes originally aired.
The Miami Dolphins were also super bowl champs back then so there are two reasons as to why I would like to go back to that era.

That's a very nice example. It reminds me of the places I first saw certain episodes.

Any given place with a deep pool makes me envious, like Milo Janus' place.
Obviously the Halperins' pool would have unpleasant associations.

One pool area that looks particularly pleasant to me is Nelson Brenner's, where his guests seem to be having such a wonderful time. It might be interesting to attend one of Nelson's gatherings and mingle with guests of international importance (not that I'd have much to say, though). Dr. Mayfield's gathering, in "A Stitch in Crime", has a similarly charming feel, but again, I'd probably have little or nothing in common with those attending.

Also, I enjoyed your variation on the topic, APK; having grown up in the '80s and '90s, it's always interesting for me to read about those who grew up with the series in the '70s, when it was brand new.

The house of the maestro in "Etude in black" and Nelson Brenner's house in "Identity crisis".

Just watched Prescription Murder again last night for the 100th time, and Dr. Fleming's office is pretty fun with his hidden bar. If I were going to a psychiatrist, that's the office I would like to go to (if he'd offer me a drink)!

BigBen
The house of the maestro in "Etude in black"

I've always liked the way he's put off by being asked how much money he makes, which of course is connected with the price of the house. (It's almost the opposite of Adrian Carsini and General Hollister's attitudes, the way they use that J. P. Morgan quote.) The fact that he considers that a very personal question makes a lot of sense to me.

The horse ranch in Blueprint/

Milo Janus' health spa (in spite of all the unpleasantness connected with it).
Unfortunately ' 74 would be too early to see the Cory Everson / Rachel MacLish kind of female athlete (I have a real attachment for them) exercising there, but it would be nice either way.