The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Try And Catch Me Unbelievable Elements

It doesn't ruin the story for me by a long shot, but I think that for Edmund to be a fortune hunter he'd almost have to have some halfway odd ideas about being one. First, there's Edmund assuming that Abigail would make him her heir for sentimental reasons even after losing Phyllis. Sure, that's what happens, but should he assume anything like that?
It sounds morbid, but it seems like a much better plan would've been for him to bide his time and wait for Abigail to "go" and for Phyllis to inherit. Then maybe he could've lived off Phyllis (assuming he was really as much of a fortune hunter as Abby thought).
Then, if there was "murder in his heart" (to use Abby's phrase from that speech), he could've done something to Phyllis. But not till then.
Does that make any sense?

Yes, that makes excellent sense. No doubt that he was already living a good life. He did not have a steady job. Maybe Abigail was already supporting the couple. So in his place - I would have waited.

It seems that in quite a few episodes the murderer could have waited or not committed the crime in the first place. At least in my opinion. Also, in some episodes the alibies made the crime even easier to solve. I think that is why I like the 'sudden' murder cases more than the others - and I do like the others. Death Lends a Hand and Port - the murders were not premeditated and the episodes are great.

Very good point about WHY HASN'T THE LIGHTBULB BEEN CHANGED YET?

That was actually very smart of Edmund when you think about it! He put the note somewhere he knew the Police would have to go soon!