The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Which victim would you have killed yourself?

I always forget how it was phrased, but quite some time ago someone here said that Frances Galesko struck them as a wife who could've been a lot of "fun" (if you know what I mean) if Paul had gone about things a certain way. This is getting into a sort of "taming of the shrew" area (so it could sound sexist), but maybe if he'd confronted her early on with "some new-found masculinity" - even though she meant that phrase sarcastically - things could have gone differently. Or maybe not.

(Of course, that reference to him wanting to go off with "Isis herself" ALSO makes a lot of sense.)

I mentioned this on another thread recently, and it's getting into a sensitive area, but there's Jesse Jerome in NOW YOU SEE HIM. I don't know the episode well and I don't remember just how he phrases it, but Santini says that he's a "victim" of those camps in his own way, and it isn't automatically a ridiculous thing to say, but of course Jerome dismisses it. Also, Jerome has the nerve to get on a kind of moral high horse with Santini, instead of blackmailing him and leaving it at that! So those two things make him a victim who pretty much goads the killer into doing it (even apart from the blackmail itself).

I have to re-watch that episode. The interaction sounds familiar.

I've watched Now You See Him...many many times...and always delight in Nehemiah Persoff's (Jesse Jerome) performance...the guy has a very long acting resume. The way he delivers his lines making use of the name Stefan Mueller is highly effective.
Being divulged as a Nazi war criminal, I always thought, was the MOST valid of motives in all the episodes.