The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Why do we hate Last Salute to the Commodore

yes.....I dislike this episode too..it is in fact a Whodunnit...giving it a bit more intricate plot I suppose...but I find Falk in this episode to really be in self-parody....he's really DOING Columbo and at times it seems very obvious and over the top....very rare for him....in my opinion...

I must admit though that Bryce has made some very strong Pro points...

I don't hate the episode actually. For the most part, I don't mind a little shake-up of the formula now and then and Falk IMO phoned in a "caricature" performance in more notable ways than this one (especially all through the 90s).

yes...the 90s full of caricature...but as for the golden era...this one s up there

I liked it; actually, it's one of my favorites from the original run.

I get the departure-from-the-tradional-formula complaint. It just does not bother me that much.

I especially liked

a few of my favorite non-recurring actors/characters: Mac (Dennis Dugan) and Kittering (Wilfrid Hyde-White) in the Columbo meets Mac and circling the driveway scene, and closing stencil explanation/murderer-is-identified scene.

my favorite recurring actor/character: Bruce Kirby as Sgt Kramer trying to help Columbo quit cigars, holding the lamp upside-down, etc.

my favorite recurring actor in non-recurring role: John Finnegan as the guard. I love the way he talks, and his dialogue with Columbo is always entertaining.

I know there are some good elements to this episode. But the other day I misplaced my remote and had to watch it. Definitely not my favorite.