The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Scenes/lines from the sympathetic murderers that elicit the most sympathy?

Firstly, I want to reiterate what I said in my previous post, that I'm avoiding making comments in my own topics, as well as in other threads, so that this person claiming to be me (e.g. "Columbo Remake?") will be easily differentiated, should he continue on with his routine of making these sorts of posts(not that the Columbo remake topic was bad in and of itself, but from my perspective I can see that he posted it with the same intentions he had earlier this year, apparently stemming from some antagonistic attitude towards me in particular). So I'll avoid posting anything on the forum for quite awhile, and see what happens.

Anyway, I was curious as to how fans responded sympathetically to the set of murderers from the '70s run of the series who are regarded (or could be regarded) as sympathetic or tragic. Of course, opinion varies on whether certain of these murderers could be considered sympathetic in the first place, such as Carsini in "Any Old Port". For me, the "sympathetic' reaction I have to some of them (including Carsini) isn't really sympathy for their motive or general character, but for the fact that they put up with Columbo's frequent presence without becoming (too) defensive or hostile, and in some cases became weary and meek as Columbo pressed on, rather than trying to maintain prideful confidence. Here I wanted to go through the list of the murderers I feel could in some way be considered sympathetic (of course, such a list will probably be a little different with each fan's own take) and point out specific scenes or lines of dialog where they seem particularly pitiable to me.

Adrian Carsini - In the final scene, after Columbo explains how hot it had become while Adrian was in New York, and Adrian expresses with a weary sort of arrogance that he would have wanted it to be a record temperature. Also, when they're about to get in Columbo's car and Adrian, both relieved and sad, says, "I guess freedom is purely relative", while Columbo acknowledges the statement with a meaningful look.

Tommy Brown - Toward the beginning, when Tommy breaks down under Edna's uncompromising ways, finally telling her, "I've given you your last chance!" In a way, Tommy's oppressive marriage situation is similar to Paul Galesko's in "Negative Reaction", but Paul comes across as purely angry and contemptuous, while Tommy (in part due, I think, to the quiver in his voice) seems to be truly sad, wrestling as much with internal feelings of hopelessness as with Edna directly. Another similarity between Tommy's situation and Paul's (in this case, a humorous parallel) is that their wives both insult them right before the murder(Edna complains that the coffee Tommy made tastes terrible and Francis chides Paul for not being funny).

Lyle Rumford - The scene where Columbo finds Rumford "inspecting" the vacant dormitory. There's rarely a scene in the series where a murderer comes across as simply neurotic, much less neurotic in a sad, tragic way, but for me this scene really shows how "off" Rumford is in his display of confident, yet vain, hopes for the Academy. Rumford's resignation to the possibility of Columbo discovering that the board of directors actually approved of William Haynes' plans for the Academy is also endearing in an odd sort of way: "You'll do what you have to do". There's a sense that Rumford's reverence for dignity and discipline prevents him from perpetuating the falsities he throws at Columbo, simply letting procedure and fate take their course after a certain point.

Ruth Lytton - Ruth is a very fascinating character for me in that, though being cold, calculating and confident throughout the entire episode, there's a distinct sense of sadness and melancholy being expressed concurrent with that menacing nature. Even when she's smiling with apparent confidence or evil intent, it seems half-hearted and weak, as though her life is so irreversibly miserable that even when she thinks she has the upper hand in her current situation, it's little consolation for the damage that's already been done. In choosing a line that stands out as particularly sympathetic to me, I'm quite moved when Columbo remarks that the face in Ruth's portrait is a happy face, with Ruth affirming, "It is a happy face."

Oliver Brandt - Two lines stand out to me as best expressing Oliver's desperation: "The world's crumbling, what do you expect" (when his wife remarks that the "whole house shook" after Oliver slams the front door in frustration) and "I have embezzled funds! Do you understand what I'm telling you?!" (trying, unsuccessfully, to get sympathy from his wife)

Abigail Mitchell - Although I feel Ruth Gordon's portrayal of Abigail is a little overplayed through most of the episode, I love her performance at the very end, when her bubbly personality deflates into a grave resignation: "I don't suppose you could make an exception in my case...?"

I didn't mention Grace Wheeler, because, for me, her medical condition makes it a unique case, where it's unknown whether she'd be as fragile or naive if she had retained her memory. Also, there are some murderers (Brimmer, Alex Benedict, Marshall Cahill) that I feel are sympathetic at the very end, but who, for the most part, are fairly standard "Columbo" villains throughout most of the episode.
Anyway, does anyone have a specific scene where they sympathized with a murderer(not limited, of course, to the murderers I cited)?

Re: Scenes/lines from the sympathetic murderers that elicit the most sympathy?

Speaking of Brimmer, there's his very short explanation to Arthur at the end. No matter how short it is, it's believable.

I had a tongue in cheek post on this awhile back on which victim you would have murdered yourself (in sympathy to the murderer). To me that person is Tommy Brown, who at the end does show remorse in the sense that his guilt was killing him. I thought he was shabbily treated by his wife despite the fact that he was surely no angel. I do think Columbo was sympathetic to him with the line, "Anyone who could sing like that can't be all bad."

Do I agree about Ruth Gordon's overplayed performance? YES, it is annoying but at the end she gives us a great last scene. BUT as a mystery writer, and a well known one, I think she could have used her influence to have her nephew further investigated or could have thought of another non lethal form of revenge.

It seems that there are a few episodes where I can feel for the murders who thought they would loose all. Rumford in Dawn's Early light, the curator in Old Fashioned Murder. There are others too. But at the same time they could have just bore the pain as we all have to at times.

So I would say its hard for me to sympathize completely with a murderer.

Good thread.

But here is a real mystery. Who is this Bryce the second? Not that it matters in the scheme of things but it is a 'mystery.' I don't think that it is the ICThruyou chap who was vindictive. I think he is gone thank goodness. It seems interesting that when the real Bryce left the forum for a while the imitation Bryce stopped using his name. It seems to me that the imitation Bryce would have to be someone who checks in regularly and who saw that the original Bryce had returned. So is the imitation Bryce someone who contributes to the forum (doubtful) or is it someone who just checks in to read and enjoy or is it someone who has checked in only to see if the real Bryce returned. As I said in the scheme of things...but it is a mystery. Columbo where are you?

It is interesting that something like this would happen on a site which is used by dozens of people, not even hundreds of people.

"So I would say its hard for me to sympathize completely with a murderer."

Yeah, I think that's kind of the point of that part of Columbo's lecture where he talks about the part of the murderer he likes. He expresses sympathy for that part it's also meant to explain the professionalism he invokes at the end in explaining why he won't make an exception for Abigail.