The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Question on Try and Cath Me

Great question! I do think he killed her. Of course I have absolutely no evidence, but I think we're led to believe that he did!

He absolutely killed Phyllis. I believe the two particular ways they are trying to tell the viewer that he didn't love her (and therefore had motive), is the fact that he didn't have one picture of her in his apartment, and when he looked at her picture on Abigail's desk, he made a bit of a snicker. He certainly didn't look at her with any sadness. And even if he didn't love her, you would think he would still show some sadness for the tragic way she died if he hadn't killed her.

But one thing mentioned in an earlier thread, is that Abigail's celebrity status would have likely given her more ability to get the police to dig deeper, or if nothing else, you would think she could have paid for the best private detective possible to investigate further, and not had to commit murder herself. And if she had been able to prove he did it and had him convicted, he wouldn't have been eligible to inherit the rights to the play, and they would have went back to Abigail.

(Reply to Irene's comment) - That's a good point Irene, but then there wouldn't have been a story or this episode..! I think Ruth Gordon mentions tho how it would've been different if Columbo had been on that case..

You could tell he didn't love her when Abigail asked him if he did while they were walking on the beach. He clearly hesitated when he answered.

Reading the original script we know that Phyllis accused Edmund of violence.

I think this is one instance where we know Columbo liked and sympathized with the murderer. His extemporaneous speech at the women's club hinted at that, and when he pointed out to Abigail thay Edmund's apartment had no pictures of Phyllis, he was signaling to her that he understood why she,Abigail,had her suspicions.

I hate to be difficult, but for me it's always up in the air whether he did it or not, which is maybe just as well in my case.

Good observation about the "Senator." I never thought about that.

Personally, and this is just an opinion, I think the episode would have been somewhat better if Ruth Gordon had toned her character down a bit. I think some of her scenes, however, were great, eg the end when she describes herself as old and harmless.

Thanks for a nice thread.

Thanks! Greatly appreciate it. I love this site. Just started posting last month.