The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Now You See Him

The evidence against Santini was not conclusive. In many cases the evidence is thin and I imagine many murderers would get away with their crimes if they did not confess, sometimes stupidly though.

In this case I can 'forgive' Santini for confessing. Columbo has discovered that he is an ex Nazi, and soon the world will too. (We can debate if this could be proved since Santini destroyed the accusing letter.) I imagine Santini figured his life as he knew it was over, maybe that a US prison would be better than a foreign prison/

The evidence against Santini was not conclusive. In many cases the evidence is thin and I imagine many murderers would get away with their crimes if they did not confess, sometimes stupidly though.

In this case I can 'forgive' Santini for confessing. Columbo has discovered that he is an ex Nazi, and soon the world will too. (We can debate if this could be proved since Santini destroyed the accusing letter.) I imagine Santini figured his life as he knew it was over, maybe that a US prison would be better than a foreign prison/

I don't think the letter is necessarily proof of Mueller's identity (the state department will be able to confirm that) but it's proof that the victim intended to expose Mueller. So it's evidence of a motive.