The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Most neglected (least talked about) episode

No Time to Die or Undercover.

Commodore. Tisn't!

Maybe "The Most Dangerous Match"? That's never been on the top of my list to watch. Anyone find this episode hugely enjoyable?

I definitely recommend it. It's not a great episode but it's got a lot for Columbo fans to enjoy.

And it has probably my favorite "famous last words" by the victim.

S3 Swan Song. needs more love. My late neighbor Johnny Cash was great, but not to great as Columbo fooled him. Gotcha ! LoL

I've always been pretty fond of it. My one obvious problem with it is that part of it resembles A STITCH IN CRIME too much, and that of course is the killer sneaking a drug to the victim. But even THAT part is a kind of reversal, since Clayton does it to FINISH his victim, and Dr. Mayfield does it to SAVE his victim.

MURDER UNDER GLASS is a RELATIVELY neglected one. I'm not attached to the whole thing, but along with the ending, Columbo meeting the different chefs one by one is a part I've always liked, especially the casting. Maybe France Nuyen as a Chinese chef and Mako as a Japanese chef are sort of "predictable" casting, but either way it's nice to see them in those roles.

Requiem for a Falling Star and Lovely but Lethal

One of my few complaints about LOVELY BUT LETHAL is a very technical one about the credits. Fred Draper plays such an interesting part that it always bothers me a little to see him sandwiched between two other people in the closing credits, instead of singled out (either in the closing credits, or even better, the opening ones).

I agree, he was a pivotal character, and I always wondered why he wasn't mentioned in the beginning credits. Many characters with less screen time, less importance in the story, and not really big stars have been mentioned in other episode beginnings. Does anyone know how that is determined? Is that something negotiated by the actors or their agents?? Always wondered about that.

Draper gets dead last billing, after a huge list of players, in "Last Salute to the Commodore". And his role is somewhat important in that episode. Also in two other episodes he's not credited at all. I see at IMDB that his only work seems to be Columbo and Cassavetes movies. I wonder if he was just not into the whole Hollywood thing, and chose the lower billing.

Clay Gardner
Draper gets dead last billing, after a huge list of players, in "Last Salute to the Commodore". And his role is somewhat important in that episode. Also in two other episodes he's not credited at all. I see at IMDB that his only work seems to be Columbo and Cassavetes movies. I wonder if he was just not into the whole Hollywood thing, and chose the lower billing.

I don't think we can call this his "only" work. I was just watching some of my old recordings of the 1980 Winter Olympics, and who did I see in an Olympic related Coca-Cola commercial but Fred Draper as a proud father seeing his athlete son off to Lake Placid (no dialogue but he was easy to recognize). Draper was the kind of actor who probably earned most his salary in things like commercials and theater.

Murder Under Glass is one of my favorite episodes, mainly due to performance of Louis Jourdan.

I really like murder under glass. The killer is so quirky and I love all the wonderful tidbits about columbo's childhood.

Ps France Nyun (sp?) changed her name from Nguyen to make it easier to spell. Strange! She was also married to Robert culp! (Death lends a hand)

One of the things I enjoy about Murder Under Glass is how dated and unappetising all the 1970s haute cuisine looks...all that superfluous piping and gallons of aspic. There's a galantine of duck which is a particular offender...

Ha! I had EXACT same thought. Food on Columbo never looks appetizing to me.