The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Etude in Black -- Columbo and Alex meet

I know a suspicion (even a strong one) isn't the same thing as certainty, but I can't help thinking he wouldn't have had too much to lose by telling Janice about Jennifer, since she was so suspicious already. Of course, he had other worries, like what his mother-in-law would do about it.

I've always liked his touchy reaction when Columbo asks his income. Maybe it's just embarrassment because he's this celebrity conductor partly due to his marriage. (It reminds me just a little of Swanny's great line in "COMMODORE" - "It's called a salary, but who's kidding who?") But either way, I can't help sympathizing with it - to some people, that IS an overly personal question.

But Jenifer Welles had just said "I know you, I need you and you need me" or something like that. It was the coincidence that both women in his life were pushing him in similar but different ways in the same night.

i remember she said that line in a weird way, like a cartoon mouse or maybe a chipmunk.

Nice thread going here.

It does seem inappropriate for Alex to make that comment. But the script called for it. Classical music can be divided into two categories - the works only people who are really into classical music would know and music that EVERYONE knows. Piano concertos, string quartets etc are examples of music only a relatively few people listen to. This includes works from composers that many people have not heard of. Then there is the EVERYONE music, pieces that we have heard in high school music class, as themes etc, pieces like the Moonlight Sonata, Beethoven's Fifth, Back Ode to Joy etc.

So when Alex makes his comment it seems like, as someone already wrote, that he is saying to Columbo, "I didn't think someone like you - being just a cop, would appreciate piano concertos. When Columbo mentions the Waltz album Alex, piece of trash that he is, says he forgot about it. Meaning of course that the Blue Danube waltz is something worthy to be forgotten - not because it is not pleasant music - but because Columbo, and everyone, know of it. He is basically telling Columbo - you might like that well known music but you do not - or cannot - appreciate more 'serious music' like piano concertos.

It is obvious that Alex would not forget about an album he recorded. He is "Just being a jerk."

And yes, what a ridiculous thing to say to his wife.

wow i'm glad I asked, I had no idea about any of that, thanks for the great answer. It makes me appreciate the episode even more, that's a great job by the writers.