Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
LATEST SCORE

East Fife 0 Airdrie Utd. 1

Re: LATEST SCORE

FT EFFC 0 v Airdrie Utd 1

Disappointing result after Tuesday nights win.

What can you say put simply we were pish!!

Mini
What can you say put simply we were pish!!

more like moaning mini

Never mind. A win next week and we'll be back in the promotion race.

Well that's Wednesday's amazing result well and truly cancelled out.

Was Robertson watching the same game unfold as the rest of us ?

We can't take a corner. Stoney needed hooked in the second half.

The whole ground could see that Park should've been pushed up or swapped with McCulloch playing left back as that wasn't working - didn't happen.

Our solitary goal threat goes off - pacey Cargill bizarrely doesn't even get off the bench.

Not as up for it as they were (again).

At least Brown kept the score down.

Defeat at home to Dumbarton, defeat at home to Airdrie and now Peterhead coming on Tuesday.

H Peterhead
A Alloa
A Airdrie
H Forfar
A Brechin
A Dumbarton
H Livingston
H Ayr
A Ayr
A Brechin
H Stenhousemuir
A Peterhead
H Alloa
A Airdrie

Thanks to Michael Brown, we were still in the game after a dreadful 1st half.
Imo,Stoney should have been subbed as his 2nd half performance was very poor, Park should have been swapped with McCulloch and Cargill should have had a run out in the last 10 minutes.
The joys of being an East Fife fan eh?

Get Linn up front!!!!!!

Stoney on the right, Park on the left.

Hamilton and Hislop give us NOTHING!

I actually thought Hamilton (apart from his miss)played ok today.

He was one of our better players today but Hislop and Hamilton don't work together.

Linn and Hamilton on tuesady please. Assuming that Wallace is out after today.

Tuesday is a must win game, simple as that.

St Pauli Fifer
Well that's Wednesday's amazing result well and truly cancelled out.

Was Robertson watching the same game unfold as the rest of us ?

We can't take a corner. Stoney needed hooked in the second half.

The whole ground could see that Park should've been pushed up or swapped with McCulloch playing left back as that wasn't working - didn't happen.

Our solitary goal threat goes off - pacey Cargill bizarrely doesn't even get off the bench.

Not as up for it as they were (again).

At least Brown kept the score down.

Defeat at home to Dumbarton, defeat at home to Airdrie and now Peterhead coming on Tuesday.

H Peterhead
A Alloa
A Airdrie
H Forfar
A Brechin
A Dumbarton
H Livingston
H Ayr
A Ayr
A Brechin
H Stenhousemuir
A Peterhead
H Alloa
A Airdrie

fuck sake you are a total prick , you either praising them to the hilt or slagging them no in between why dont you just stop posting shit for a while and youve now got it in for stoney since the stenny game. A player who has been our most consistant player for the first half of the season.

No sure i agree with the Hamilton comments cause i've seen him a few times now and at least he offers a threat in the air by knocking the ball on but otherwise he is a bit long in the tooth.
I think Stoney's critics are being a bit harsh, he did make a few blunders the day but at least he still puts a shift in the whole game. If he hadn't missed the chances he did, who else was going to??
Although i have noticed his corners get lower, the longer the game goes :o) maybe someone else should take them from about 70 minutes or start putting players on the front post for a flick on.

Fife-Addict
No sure i agree with the Hamilton comments cause i've seen him a few times now and at least he offers a threat in the air by knocking the ball on but otherwise he is a bit long in the tooth.
I think Stoney's critics are being a bit harsh, he did make a few blunders the day but at least he still puts a shift in the whole game. If he hadn't missed the chances he did, who else was going to??
Although i have noticed his corners get lower, the longer the game goes :o) maybe someone else should take them from about 70 minutes or start putting players on the front post for a flick on.

well said about stoney

His corners were a joke and it was easier to score when clean through, which he didn`t.
The right back for Airdrie had him in his back pocket.
Still, can`t fault his effort though.

Thought Airdrie played well the first half and deserved their lead. Much better from us after the break but despite creating a number of chances we failed to get the goal we probably deserved.
Sometimes it is about getting the breaks at the right time in games like these. In saying that I felt that we struggled to get to grips in the middle of the park and still don't look like we have a balanced unit in that department. As Sloan is out for some time I wonder if it is worth giving Fagan a prolonged run in the side. The boy is not match sharp at the moment but we badly needing a holding player in the middle.
Bit of a disappointment after midweek but I don't see a lack of effort or commitment from the lads.

What garbage that was today. Airdrie booted us off the park and I was so dissapointed when Fagan came on that he didnt even look like booting f~ck out of Airdrie players, what has happened to him? Flaming poofter.

Tam
His corners were a joke and it was easier to score when clean through, which he didn`t.

re still cant fault his performance you just have....

Scunnered
What garbage that was today. Airdrie booted us off the park and I was so dissapointed when Fagan came on that he didnt even look like booting f~ck out of Airdrie players, what has happened to him? Flaming poofter.

Marc McCulloch really struggled in the middle of the park. Thought Robbo might have put Smarty on at right back to allow Div back into the middle. Park looks better further forward as he is a threat running at defenders. Game against Peterhead is now a must win game to get a bit of breathing space. Hopefully Wallace and Hamilton are fit for Tuesday. Hard to believe that we scored 4 at Ayr when you witnessed the finishing today ! Team for Tuesday - Brown, Smart, McGowan, Ovenstone, McCulloch, Linn, Muir, young, Park, Hamilton & Wallace - Subs - Fagan, hislop, stoney & Durie If fit

Wasn't at the game today, so can't and won't comment, but this post that was on PnB, from an Airdrie fan, makes it seem it was not as bad a performance as is perhaps being suggested on here!!!

"Still not quite sure how on earth we escaped with 3 points intact here. East Fife missed at least four absolute sitters including their centre forward managing to knock one past the post from a couple of feet out in front of an open goal!!

We played well enough in the first half and the goal was a cracking looping header from Gemmill from a Stevenson free kick, and their goalie had a couple of blinding saves, but in the second half we just didn't seem to get going at all. Stand-out performances for me were Donnelly who looks a cracking player along with Stevenson who put in an excellent shift is did Philip Johnston. For once we rode our luck and emerged with three welcome points and (somehow) a clean sheet."

Were things as bad as the Fife fans on here are suggesting or are people typing too soon in the afterglow of the initial disappointment???

Here's another one!!!

East Fife deserved to come away with a point after todays game. It was my first trip to Bayview and I rather enjoyed it. The ground put me in minds of Dumbarton's with it being the one stand and it is a nice wee ground. Was a good game of football and i dont think anyone could complain about the entertainment put on display.

As for the game the first big chance fell to Ryan Wallace as the ball was squared to him about 15 yards out but his effort was weak and easily collected by Ridgers. The besst chance game next when Bobby Linn ( East Fife's best player on the day ) crossed low and some how Jim Hamilton managed to shin the ball wide from a yard out. That was the wake up call Airdrie needed and Gemmil found himself with a great chance from about 6 yards and after a great touch with his chest he fired the ball at brown who saved smartly with his legs. (should of been 1-1 after those to chances.) Next chance for Airdrie came with a shot from the edge of the area which Brown changed direction to get down and make a smart 1 handed save. Next came the goal which was from a free kick whipped in from the left a Gemmil flicked a header into the corner of the net leaving Brown no chance. That was all I really recall from the first half bar Bobby Linn shooting over from a free kick and the odd half chance. Second half was all East Fife pressure bar the odd Airdrie counter attack. A cross from the left leaves Jim Hamilton with a volley from 2 yards this time and he strikes the ball into the ground and over the bar. (Just wasnt going to be his day). East Fife had another glorious chance with a 3 on 2 break and i think it may of been Fagan who should of scored but his shot was more of a pass back and easily gathered by Ridgers. No saves by either keeper in the second half of note but East Fife pressed really well and did deserve to find that equalising goal.

On both teams East Fife played well and on another day Jim Hamilton would of had a double. Wallace huffed and puffed before having to go off injured and he can be pleased with his efforts but i think he would be more effective out wide letting Linn through the middle. Linn tore Lovering to bits and caused us a lot of problems but that was to be expected after what he has done so far this season. The other players i thought had a good game was the number 3 Ovenstone or Park if im not mistaken and Brown with a few saves in the first half.

As for Airdrie Ridgers looks more and more like Robbo coming for crosses every game. His distribution and shot stopping doesnt come into question but he needs a confidence boost and the defence could be doing with him collectiong a few more crosses. I thought he was lucky when he took the ball " on the edge of the box " according to the officials that was a close close call. The defence played well as a whole lovering again found short of pace but gives 110%. Bain lost the ball a few times but chased back and fought to win it back. The centre half pairing was good today and Forrest should be left on the bench. The wingers played well and were a real handfull but both could be doing with improving the final ball. Stevenson was my man of the match he is our most composed player, was rarely wastefull with the ball and tracked back putting vital tackles in countless times. Devlin played ok but hoped for more from him if im honest. Donnely looks a tricky wee player but a bit lightweight which is something he can work on the future. Gemmil is a worker as always and played well i just wish he took a lot more of his chances but we know it is not his strongpoint.

No bad tackles and the ref had a very easy time of it today and like i said the only talking point would be the Ridgers incident at the edge of the box.

King Kebab
Wasn't at the game today, so can't and won't comment, but this post that was on PnB, from an Airdrie fan, makes it seem it was not as bad a performance as is perhaps being suggested on here!!!

"Still not quite sure how on earth we escaped with 3 points intact here. East Fife missed at least four absolute sitters including their centre forward managing to knock one past the post from a couple of feet out in front of an open goal!!

We played well enough in the first half and the goal was a cracking looping header from Gemmill from a Stevenson free kick, and their goalie had a couple of blinding saves, but in the second half we just didn't seem to get going at all. Stand-out performances for me were Donnelly who looks a cracking player along with Stevenson who put in an excellent shift is did Philip Johnston. For once we rode our luck and emerged with three welcome points and (somehow) a clean sheet."

Were things as bad as the Fife fans on here are suggesting or are people typing too soon in the afterglow of the initial disappointment???

Here's another one!!!

East Fife deserved to come away with a point after todays game. It was my first trip to Bayview and I rather enjoyed it. The ground put me in minds of Dumbarton's with it being the one stand and it is a nice wee ground. Was a good game of football and i dont think anyone could complain about the entertainment put on display.

As for the game the first big chance fell to Ryan Wallace as the ball was squared to him about 15 yards out but his effort was weak and easily collected by Ridgers. The besst chance game next when Bobby Linn ( East Fife's best player on the day ) crossed low and some how Jim Hamilton managed to shin the ball wide from a yard out. That was the wake up call Airdrie needed and Gemmil found himself with a great chance from about 6 yards and after a great touch with his chest he fired the ball at brown who saved smartly with his legs. (should of been 1-1 after those to chances.) Next chance for Airdrie came with a shot from the edge of the area which Brown changed direction to get down and make a smart 1 handed save. Next came the goal which was from a free kick whipped in from the left a Gemmil flicked a header into the corner of the net leaving Brown no chance. That was all I really recall from the first half bar Bobby Linn shooting over from a free kick and the odd half chance. Second half was all East Fife pressure bar the odd Airdrie counter attack. A cross from the left leaves Jim Hamilton with a volley from 2 yards this time and he strikes the ball into the ground and over the bar. (Just wasnt going to be his day). East Fife had another glorious chance with a 3 on 2 break and i think it may of been Fagan who should of scored but his shot was more of a pass back and easily gathered by Ridgers. No saves by either keeper in the second half of note but East Fife pressed really well and did deserve to find that equalising goal.

On both teams East Fife played well and on another day Jim Hamilton would of had a double. Wallace huffed and puffed before having to go off injured and he can be pleased with his efforts but i think he would be more effective out wide letting Linn through the middle. Linn tore Lovering to bits and caused us a lot of problems but that was to be expected after what he has done so far this season. The other players i thought had a good game was the number 3 Ovenstone or Park if im not mistaken and Brown with a few saves in the first half.

As for Airdrie Ridgers looks more and more like Robbo coming for crosses every game. His distribution and shot stopping doesnt come into question but he needs a confidence boost and the defence could be doing with him collectiong a few more crosses. I thought he was lucky when he took the ball " on the edge of the box " according to the officials that was a close close call. The defence played well as a whole lovering again found short of pace but gives 110%. Bain lost the ball a few times but chased back and fought to win it back. The centre half pairing was good today and Forrest should be left on the bench. The wingers played well and were a real handfull but both could be doing with improving the final ball. Stevenson was my man of the match he is our most composed player, was rarely wastefull with the ball and tracked back putting vital tackles in countless times. Devlin played ok but hoped for more from him if im honest. Donnely looks a tricky wee player but a bit lightweight which is something he can work on the future. Gemmil is a worker as always and played well i just wish he took a lot more of his chances but we know it is not his strongpoint.

No bad tackles and the ref had a very easy time of it today and like i said the only talking point would be the Ridgers incident at the edge of the box.

Usual stuff on here KK. Deserved a point but didn't really get going until after the break.

annon
Tam

re still cant fault his performance you just have....

It was his effort I didn`t fault.Read properly next time!!

we shou;d be hammering shit like airdrie

we should have got at least a point against a very poor airdrie side(lets not forget that) if the rest of the side works their socks off like stonny when the oppossion have the ball we would not be in the bottom three. Today there were fans giving him stick, this is a local lad who has came from amateur football to 2nd div football.(not junior or 3rd div)

Some of the posts on here verge on the ridiculous.

Fair enough, a poor first half and a couple of chances missed, but Robertson changed it at half time and it was all East Fife in the 2nd half. Think we could have played all day and not scored. Some good play, Linn a stand out and defence pretty solid 2nd half.

Highlights will reflect this.

Andy Dalrymple
Robertson changed it at half time

Can you explain?

Every week same ol boring fans slagging players and Manager when we lose!
Read the Airdrie fans comments and you can see that what you post is drivel.
Agreed, we should have won & we missed good chances. Hey, that's. Football, at least we created the chances.

Fifeyboab
Every week same ol boring fans slagging players and Manager when we lose!
Read the Airdrie fans comments and you can see that what you post is drivel.
Agreed, we should have won & we missed good chances. Hey, that's. Football, at least we created the chances.

o well if the airdire fans said it it must b true

First half was very poor from us with Brown keeping us in it with a couple of great blocks. Ineffective in the middle with Young & McCulloch not at the races and Wallace not given an inch.
No shortage of effort, Hammy guilty of missing a couple of sitters and Stoney should have perhaps done a bit better with one chance later on.
Stoney & Linn create a lot of chances for us but felt once Wallace went off it wasn't going to be our day.
Sore one to lose as felt we deserved at least a draw in the end.
Need to take the chances against Peterhead. Time for one or two to show their true mettle.

We are really missing sloan and putting muir at right back did not help.The midfield were terrible.Upfront when wallace went off and the sub came on the crowds reaction round me said it all.You could almost here the sigh or was it a groan.

annon

fuck sake you are a total prick , you either praising them to the hilt or slagging them no in between why dont you just stop posting shit for a while and youve now got it in for stoney since the stenny game. A player who has been our most consistant player for the first half of the season.

I've not got it in for Stoney at all. He showed a superb workrate in the first half (again) but was burnt out in the second half (again). No problem with him starting at all, just thought he should've been taken off for fresh legs in the second half - you just needed to see his 'shot' and multiple corner kick efforts in the second half.

SPF did you actually watch the game? Airdrie scored with a wicked corner largely thanks to the wind/rain on their backs (which died down when we came out for the second half).

As far as I could see we had a fair few chances to win the game but a mixture of bad luck and poor finishing cost us. Admittedly I have seen several one-on-ones with goalies in my time but never two on one - and still screw up.

The game could've gone either way and unfortunately it didn't go ours on Saturday.

For some peculiar reason we decided not to use the right side of the pitch and adopt the high ball game when getting in/around their defence might've paid more dividends.

Given the chances we created and the superb goal keeping, I am more than confident that we won't go down.