Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: returning to Bermuda

My favorite Bermuda story of all time.....This is absolutely a true story...I swear :)

The NAVFAC's MA (MA1 Roscoe Coltran) was doing an ammo run from the Air Station to the NAVFAC, as with all ammo runs, he had to carry a loaded weapon with him. I went with him on the run and he tells me that if we get pulled over to just follow his lead. Trip over was quick and easy, on the way back, we got pulled over. As the Policeman started towards the van, Roscoe puts his hands on the dashboard, leans out the window and states "I am carrying a loaded .45" The policman stops, yells as us to slow down and quickly gets back on his bike and takes off!

I almost died laughing....

Now I wouldn't suggest doing that on your trip :)

Travis

Please stop one night at Ice Queen for a burger! That place made the most amazing, tastiest burgers I've ever eaten. And the taxi cab drivers never minded if you asked them to stop there, as long as you got them a burger and fries too.

I lived in Bermuda waaaay before my time as an OT...as in late 1959-1962. While I don't remember much about it except my younger brother being born there, my mom collected Bermuda postcards. Every once in a while I'll dig one out and send it to a friend, with the "having a wonderful time, wish you were here" line! It's so obvious the cards aren't anywhere near real time, but it's fun to have people think I'm actually on a "real" vacation!

Have fun! I love returning to places from yesterday!

Let us know what you discover. Kathy and I are taking our two youngest (Kelly 20 and Patrick 18) on a 7 day cruise to Bermuda the last week of July.

It's our family "get away" before Kathy heads to Pakistan in August for a 12 month tour.

I was stationed at NAVFAC Bermuda 1974 - 76. Kathy was there 1982 - 84 (I think). For both of us it was a first Navy duty station.

Ah, the memories....

I recently found two old watchbills circa 1974/1975 from BDA. Let me know if you're interested and I'll e-mail them to you.

Jim

I hope you all have a great time in Bermuda, I have many fond memories from there, It was my 1st Navfac and two of my three children where born there, Charlie now 27 and Marci 25. I remember when Charlie was due to arrive everytime the phone would ring i'd jump. Kathy Donovan was my 1st watch officer at that time, Section two was the best.
Take Care and God Bless.
Gene

This is for Jim Donovan, I saw your message and was wondering who your wife Kathy was. I was stationed in Bermuda from 1984 to 1986 and was wondering if maybe I knew her? I used to be Sharon Spratley.

Sharon,

My wife Kathy was ENS/LTjg Kathy Dunn back in 1982-84 at NAVFAC Bermuda. She was one of the Watch Officers.

Today, she's CAPT Kathy Donovan, attached to USS HARRY S TRUMAN Strike Group as Deputy COS for C4ISR.

Jim

Dear Jim,

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly! I think I knew Kathy, I was watch officer for section 4. Please give her my regards and my congratulations on making Captain!

Sincerely, Sharon

I worked with Kathy from 82 to 83. I was a radioman and worked the mids with her. She would probably remember Elmo who we called the DJ on the mids, Pat Whitlock was one of her associates. Good to hear about the old crew.....

Keith,

My last visit to BDA was in May 2004 aboard the Celebrity cruise ship Horizon. Other than the observations of others previously posted, the biggest impacts I observed were (1) the lack of U. S., Canadian, and British armed forces, (2) the increase in the volume of traffic on the roads,(3) the increase in speeds that are driven on their roads, and (4) the increase in prices on just about anything.

According to Bermudians I spoke to on the subject the pull-out of all of the foreign military personnel created a $60 million loss of revenue in the local economy; hence the increase in prices.

Troubling is the Bermudian claim that the U. S. military was the only military to pull out without performing an environmental clean-up on the bases they occupied. Allegedly the cost of that clean-up is estimated to be in the $60 to $70 million range. The reason given as to why NOB and NAVFAC have yet to be sold/developed is because that any purchaser or developer would need to absorb the cost of the environmental clean-up prior to developing those sites.

The attached link provides information concerning the former foreign military bases on BDA including their post cold-war era closures. That page also has links to allot of other pages with info and photos of Bermuda points of interest.

Be sure to visit the former site of the Royal Naval Dockyard and Casemates Prison. The locals have done a good job of converting the area into a touristy spot that includes a small shopping mall, a museum, a marina, and some eateries. Taking the ferry to the dockyard from Hamilton that has a intermediate stop at "Rockaway" will provide you with a "from the water" view of the former NOB. I have some photos taken from that ride that show the overgrown conditions. Contact me via email if interested and I'll send you some of those shots.

Regardless, BDA is still BDA. It's as beautiful as ever, the folks are as friendly as ever, old haunts like the Swizzle Inn, Waterlot Inn, Hog Penny, Henry The 8ths, and Country Squire still exist (or were still in existence in 2004). Others do not such as the Belmont Hotel, destroyed by Hurricane Fabian in 2003 and the Bermudiana was replaced with a large office building in 1990. If you like a great plate of fish-n-chips, try the White Horse Tavern in St George.

Have a great vacation.

Best Wishes,

Denny

For Denny, I would be interested in seeing your pictures from Bermuda. I was there 1984-1986 and went there for my honeymoon in 1989. I still miss it. If you don't mind, could you e-mail me your pics at sdellinger@twcny.rr.com? Thanks so much!
Sincerely,
Sharon

My wife and I visited there last year on a cruise out of Norfolk...having not ever being stationed there, I was kinda lost as to where things were...took a bus ride to St. George and ate lunch at the Whitehorse, it was great....also took a tour of the caves/caverns that was kinda neat...I just remember the bus drivers info about the costs of houses and that all the roofs were white (except for one red one)...also went up to the lighthouse and that was neat...have fun...

Thanks to all for your suggestions and info

Re: Thanks to all for your suggestions and info

Denny, I remember the White Horse well! I put away many a Dark n Stormy there! Their fish n chips really was great!

I wish I was going. (Need anyone to carry your bags, Keith?)

Visits: