Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Question for Director

I'm not sure why my real-world name means anything in a board where not one person knows me ... or why having gone through this before it's needed to do again... but for the record:

Rubber Ducky = John Byron. Plankowner CVB. Chief Sonarman. Captain USN, retired 1993 after 37 years continuous active duty, former CO USS GUDGEON (SS-567) and of Naval Ordnance Test Unit Cape Canaveral. After shipping over at CVB in 1959, I then served in 5 submarines and a cruiser, attended and taught at The National War College, was the Diesel/SWS head detailer, did stints in the Polaris/Poseidon/Trident program office, and served as Frank Kelso's EA on SecNav's staff.

Rubber Ducky was the name given GUDGEON by submariners on the waterfront in San Diego in the mid-'70s when she was covered with anechoic tiles as part of CNO Project 699 (USS BATFISH was the other boat in the trial). In the tradition of boat hails in which a small boat carrying a skipper would call out the name of that person's command when meeting another Navy small craft, Rubber Ducky is a proper handle for a GUDGEON CO.

And the practice of using handles rather than names is widespread around the internets. As I post in a few other forums I have carried here the same moniker I use elsewhere. Clear enough?

nice career... I bet your family and friends think so too.

JB

I for one would like to congratulate Rubber Duckey on a impressive career. I appreciate him sharing his career with the rest of us.
Thanks
Marshall

Captain,

Not sure either but thanks. My oldest son is a former bubblehead, guess u can't be all bad.

That's a fair enough question, I suppose, and this is in way meant as criticism!

I've been reading Rubberducky's comments on a few blogs (this one, http://bubbleheads.blogspot.com/) for several years. Although I never knew who he was, I never really cared either. I inferred from his posts a lot about his background, and his comments are always very informed, thought-provoking, and definitive.

Rubber Ducky,

I too had often wondered who you were, but figured since my career was short, due to a knee injury, I probably wouldn't have met you. It was great to read your response - what a career. Hopefully, we'll have a chance to meet at the next IUSS reunion.

Dawn

Visits: