Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Video: USS Seadragon Under the Ice - 1962

Irv, your story about having the rudder brought back memories. In 71 I was part of a US Det assigned to a Canadian AOR for the first RIMPAC exercise. One day I was delivering the next days flight schedule to the bridge and the helmsman asked if I wanted to try steering, before I answered the Capt. said "approved". So with the guidance of the helmsman I took the helm and quickly demonstrated my ability to zigzag. After about 30 minutes of my attempting to hold a steady course, the CO told me that we were not attempting to evade submarines. I did eventually get where I could hold, and change course smoothly. After that I would relieve the helmsman once or twice til the end of the Det. The Canadians sure had some different ways of ship life, but enjoyed every minute of my Dets with them.

Re: Video: USS Seadragon Under the Ice - 1962

Terry - never had the opportunity to serve with you, but I am sure we had some mutual friends that we served with. In 71 I was finishing up my second tour at Adak - on my way to OTM shool in Key West (1 yr CPO). I am glad I "jogged your memory" - and at my age I am lucky if I can "jog" anything !! I got to thinking about the initial posting by Capt Donovan - regarding Sea Dragon under the ice. I believe I can recall holding her during her northbound transit - was at Coos Bay at the time - came up there from SNI and met my "wife to be" (Linda Zumwalt)! No, that didn't have anything to do with my finally making Chief !! - That was when they put EVERYONE in the military on "indefinite extension" and I got orders to Adak. Wasn't supposed to be on line for another 4-6 mos - but we brought it up early & "put on our ears" !! thanks for your post.

Visits: