IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
German Stealthy Sub - With Hydrogen Fuel Cells

It's been a long time since I was in the System - OWO at Argentia and Nantucket in the 1968 thru 1971 time frame. As an Electrical Engineer I know that the technology has improved a lot over the years; however, I have to think that this German Sub with Hydrogen Fuel Cells might be a bit of challenge - even today.

Bob Hickman

the URL is to the story on CNN's International site

Re: German Stealthy Sub - With Hydrogen Fuel Cells

It's really not much different than a conventional diesel submarine (see link to Wikipedia article), except it uses fuel cells instead of batteries for submerged propulsion. Note that it still uses a diesel engine for high speed cruising.

Dave,

Thanks for the Wikipedia link. Yes, I realize that it's "conventional" with respect to the diesel, but the ability to run on the fuel cells for "weeks" sure is impressive compared to batteries. By the way, when PEM Fuel Cells are run in reverse (as a hydrolizer - not sure about that spelling), energy from the diesels would be used to recharge the Oxygen and Hydrogen storage tanks.

Bob

If it has moving parts, it'll make a recognisable signature.....and can be tracked...It's just a case of how much sound isoalization there is.....Would love a chance to IC a new class of boat one more time!

You are so right, and as long as water flows past hull surfaces there will be no lack of interesting things going on.

Visits: