IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
CUS Commodore - CAPT Scotth Rauch, USN

Greetings, all. I had the opportunity to call on the current CUS Commodore, CAPT Scott Rauch, USN this morning. Commodore Rauch assumed Command of the Dam Neck headquarters and global organization in October of last year. He has had a very impressive career and brings a wealth of expertise to the CUS organization. I thought some would be interested in his bio. See below.

Best regards, Jim Donovan

CAPTAIN CHARLES SCOTT RAUCH

Captain Scott Rauch, a native of Lakeland, Florida, graduated from the United States Naval Academy in 1985 with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering. Following commissioning, he obtained his Master of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Maryland in December 1985 through the Voluntary Graduate Education Program. Upon completing nuclear propulsion and submarine schools, he reported aboard USS FINBACK (SSN 670) in July 1987, where he served in numerous division officer assignments until August 1990. During his tour, the ship completed a non-refueling overhaul and preparations for a Mediterranean deployment.

Captain Rauch then reported to the Fleet Operation Division (N33) on the staff of Commander in Chief, U.S. Atlantic Fleet, where he served as the Assistant, Cruiser-destroyer Scheduler before returning to the fleet as Engineer Officer in USS WEST VIRGINIA (SSBN 736) BLUE, from May 1993 to May 1996. During his tour, he completed five strategic deterrent patrols.

Captain Rauch next reported to the Submarine Officer Assignments Branch (PERS-42) of the Bureau of Naval Personnel, where he served as the Assistant Captain Detailer and Submarine Shore Placement Officer from May 1996 to May 1998. He served as Executive Officer in USS OKLAHOMA CITY (SSN 723) from August 1998 to September 2000, making deployments to the West Atlantic and the North Atlantic. He was then assigned to the staff of Commander in Chief, U.S. Atlantic Fleet, as the Assistant, Special Access Programs Division Branch Head from September 2000 until March 2002.

Captain Rauch served as Commanding Officer, USS MARYLAND (SSBN 738) GOLD, from January 2003 until September 2005 completing four strategic deterrent patrols. During his tour, MARYLAND received the Submarine Squadron Twenty Battle Efficiency “E” award for 2004 as well as several other unit awards. Following his command tour, he was assigned as the Director for Strategic Forces, Nuclear Weapons and Force Protection on the staff of Commander, Submarine Force until September 2007. He was most recently assigned as the Senior Member of the Tactical Readiness Evaluation Team on the staff of Commander, Submarine Force Atlantic.

Captain Rauch is authorized to wear the Legion of Merit, the Defense Meritorious Service Medal, the Meritorious Service Medal (two awards), Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal (four awards), the Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal (two awards), as well as various unit awards.

Re: CUS Commodore - CAPT Scotth Rauch, USN

Jim - thanks for your post on the new CUS Commodore Bio on Scott Rauch. The "bad news" is: - despite my best efforts to "stay young" - I have to admit, the article made me start to realize just how old I am getting to be: The year Captain Rauch began his Plebe year at the Naval Academy is the same year I retired from the Navy - 1981, having served my last 3 years on active duty (23 in all) as the COSP System Master Chief under Commodore Duane Cox. Lots of fond memories of those -and all the previous years. The "good news" is: - I am fortunate enough to still be making more fond memories - just a different kind, with family, travel, old cars shows & cruise-ins, fishing, wood-working hobbies, etc. Guess that's what grandfathers do best - - - - after their "work life" !!
All the best.........Irv

Irv, I don't go back quite as far as you but I was thinking the same thing. In 81 I got commissioned and in 85 was a lieutenant...Nevertheless, sounds like an impressive resume and I'm sure he's a superb officer.
I don't remember where I first heard it but somebody once joked that the new officers were getting younger and younger. He expected to see a new ensign show up with a gold bar on one collar side and a Howdy Doody button on the other.. :)

Cammander Duane Cox was the CO of VP-46 when I reported aboard in 73. He was great to work for, glad to see that he made Commodore.

Visits: