Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: NAVFAC Midway Alums

If you like nature, that is the place... we were there for the Bicentennial Celebration (1976) and had a three year tour (75-78). An amazing place.

Hey Rick - wow !! you were three years (and for the '76 bicentennial!!) I was in Bermuda during that time - got to bring my family on the Amerigo Vespucci and got to go on the Russian tall ship (can't recall her name). I was only at Midway once (while on staff at COSP) - short trip with then, Comodore Cox. Got to eat some sushimi with Fred Schwanz. He also fried up a couple of 6 month old eggs he had in his fridge. Guess they were not all that plentiful - so, had to keep them awhile. Even got to play a round of golf with Fred (only course I know of that is made up entirely of "sand traps" !! Nice pics on this post.

Irv,

I was at NAVFAC Bermuda with you during the 1976 B-Centennial. In fact, somewhere I have a signed certificate marking the 200th anniversary. I should dig it out and see who signed it. Oh, and while you were out galavanting on the Amerigo Vespucci and the Russian tall ship I was probably on watch - think we were in 2-2-2-80 back then! (<:

Jim

Jim - I have the watch bills that you sent me before last years' IUSS 55TH reunion, with you as an OT3, signed by myself (ODIV LCPO), OT1 Cable (ODIV LPO) and LTJG Babbitt (ODIV Officer). I have really great memories of our years in the Navy, as I am sure all of us do. If you come across that 200th anniversary cert., sure would like to have a copy of it.
Oh, by the way - myself & family got to eat lunch in the CPO mess on the Vespucci - they even served wine, but not to our daughters. They were too busy "scoping out" the Italian midshipmen anyway !! 2-2-2 & 80 sounds right (that was my favorite rotation when I was on the watchbill: 1959-1971) Irv

Irv, I came to Bermuda after leaving Midway as a new CPO. Another great tour with exceptional people. We were indeed fortunate to have been in the system during it's golden age. Rick

Rick - thanks for your post. Bermuda(two tours) certainly ranked high on my list of career highlights. Not only did we serve in the "golden era" of "The System", many of us were fortunate to have been considered among the "cream of the crop". I say this, not out of self pride - or to diminish the contributions made by so many others - rather to point out that we were, indeed, among very uniquely qualified individuals honored to make a lasting contribution to our country's national defense. And, if "kudos" amount to anything at all, I certainly think you accumulated enough of these during your career - that I can safely say I missed at least once chance of serving with a member worthy of the phrase "cream of the crop". All the best to you in retirement..........Irv

Irv,

I found that certificate, scanned it and just e-mailed it to you. Not too easy to read, but it came out ok. I will also post it here in the Bermuda photo album.

The certificate is signed on 13 Oct 1975 on anniversary of Navy's 200th birthday. CNO signature ADM J. L. Holloway III and the CO, NAVFAC Bermuda, CDR L. A. McClendon III.

- Jim

Rick - Thanks for the link. While I was on Midway during what I affectionately call my BNF days (Before NavFacs), I did enjoy the island and the pics brought back some fond memories. On a side note, I was there in 64 when Crescent City got hit and while we on Midway were expecting the worse, everything missed us. Have a good day Frog

Great pix of Midway. My quarters from 1970-1972 were at that highest point on the island, and our house was a Tsunami shelter for the occasional drill. A few random Midway thoughts: Fish balls, horses (bicycles), the steak house, softball (every day), R&R to Hono, crowds watching each incoming plane, the Navfac bus, parties somewhere every night, goonie birds nesting on every speck of land, Coasties from Kure coming to Midway for R&R.

O.B. Corning

Hi O.B.

I remember all those things from Midway Island, plus the snow white beaches and the sky blue water. I've forgotten some of the double-back parties, not sure why.

Hi Dave,

Hope all is well. I've forgotten quite a bit from 40 years ago and I'm pretty sure why.

O.B.

....so many folks in the world will never get the chance to experience living the remote island life and that's a shame. By the way, there's a fellow who lives in my county (Morgan co. Oh.)last name of Stoneking who is a Midway alum. just threw that out there.

jb

If I haven't lost all my memory cells at this point, I believe "Stony" and I were serving at NAVFAC Midway at the same time, 69 - 70. If you run into him, give him my best. Gooney birds, fish balls, Hawaii R & R's, beautiful beaches and beautiful weather. Reporting to Midway from Adak, Midway was paradise!

Visits: