Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Retired military pay and Concurrent receipt of disability

Seems like a pretty BS way to treat those who have sustained disability while serving their country. The link works fine Hal. I'll stand with you.

We should all support this, I just applied for a my diabetes disability through Combat Related Special Compensation from my time in Viet Nam with Agent Orange. There are about 15 diseases related to Agent Orange that you can get your full retirement plus VA compensation and you only have to be 10 percent disabled. This is different than the Concurrent that Hal is talking about. Right now u have to be 50 perecent disabled for Concurrent, but if this legistration passes you will be able to get compensation from the VA with less than 50 percent disabled for non-Agent Orange disabilities.

It only takes a few minutes to let your representatives know how u want to vote, just follow Hal's link. You never know when u may get a disability that falls under this legislation..

Thanks, Hal. Done. Sent the message to the President, my Senator's Jim Webb D-Va and Mark Warner D-Va and my Congressman Scott Rigell R-Va. Since the legislation relates to Veteran's and was sposnored by Sen. Harry Reid, D-Nev and Rep. Sanford Bishop, D-Ga, I am pretty confident in Webb's support. Cant' say the same for Warner (he's on a no spending kick lately) or Rigell. But I shall stay on them.

Sent. I am now at 70% compensation but just since last April. Before that I was at 40% and told the VA I couldn't take the money because of the offset to my Navy retirement pay and my Iowa disabilty I lost $300 per month. I think my offset is now $60 from DFAS and $400 something state but at least I don't lose income now.

Hal - thanks for this posting and the link to voice our views about Concurrent Receipt. I just sent mine to appropriate reps. It is LONG OVERDUE. I fully understand the current fiscal crisis looming in this country - but there are very realistic cuts that can be made, without excluding this group of veterans from what every other veteran is eligible for - just because they stuck with their career for the "long haul". Maybe they could start with the annual Cowboy Poetry Festival - held in Harry Reid's homestate of Nevada (which is largely funded by the federal government) - - hope I don't offend any of the "cowboys" out there !!

Link worked fine! Thanks for the heads up. Just a 20% guy myself, but it is the principle of the thing.

exactly my point too. why get fined for not being disabled enough?

G.W. had us all on the fast track for full concurrent receipt by 2013 (no offset), then we got change. The money saved went towards the newly disabled, intended for combat veterans so they could get full pay without offset.

I wanted to complain at the time, but I thought it would seem like I was being greedy and stealing from those veterans who had "real" injuries, i.e., missing limbs, eyes, etc.

Visits: