Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: DoD Decals no longer required on Naval/USMC installations

I been to GLAKES several times in the last 5 years. Got ID cards and Decals there. Also meds. It's 100 miles one way from my house. Nice drive. in the summer. Not so nice in Jan-Feb. Lots of sailors there. Lots of boots marching around. Some buildings were there when you guys were there 50 years ago. I was in San Diego 59 to Jan 60.
chuck

You never got a decal? They made me get one. Had it on my car until a semi iced my windshield. Now it is sitting in the glovebox. Last time I was, to go to the NFCU as well they just looked at the ID card. TOM

Yeh Dee - it sure was 50 and not 60. Camp Barry was August 7-11, then Camp Dewey until graduation in mid-October 1959. You passed the test!!

Jim, thanks for that news! After I retired in 2007, I moved to Florida, and the closest base is Eglin AFB. I was surprised when I learned the Air Force had done away with the base sticker requirement a year or so earlier. But when I went to Navy bases in Panama City or Pensacola, I had to get a vehicle pass, as my Navy base stickers had expired and my ID card wasn't sufficient.

I thought all the previous comments about the varying levels of base security were really interesting!

My last duty station before I retired was the submarine base in Bangor, WA, and by far they had the most strict main gate procedures of any place I'd been (except for NSB Kings Bay, GA, which had the same setup). They checked base stickers, license plates, scanned ID cards with that DBIDS thing, and then pulled aside vehicles randomly for a complete search. I can't count how many times my car was searched; it seemed like every third or fourth day my time would come. And that was just to gain entry to upper base - to get closer to the submarine piers meant going through several additional hurdles and inspections.

Around 2004, while I was living in base housing in Bangor, my wife was driving home through one of the two gates to the base. I was out to sea at the time. She had left her ID card at home. The civilian contractor at the gate would not let her through, even after she showed him her driver's license and vehicle registration with our on-base address on it. She ended up driving down to the other gate, where the guard was a little more forgiving.

The DOD/Army Facility in New Cumberland, PA is about as bad, especially if you have a guest with you. Besides all the car stuff, you have to take your guest in to the ID office for fingerprints and photo so they can issue a photo ID clip on badge that you have to return when you depart the facility. All that to go to medical, the fitness center, and AAFES gas station. In this area there are also a Navy supply center and the Army was college. All we have to do is show her drivers license. The only reason I bother with the DOD is it's close to the house and hase the only gas station in the area and the money saved is worth it. Just my girlfriend doesn't go with me very often.

Don't feel bad guys. Ditto here at Fort Lee, VA. It's a pain, but at least civilian cars can still get in. We've had the search treatment several times with a dog as well.

LCpl Jim Le Sesne (Rae's Grandson) is a USMC Ordnance Machinist at the new BRAC created Ordnance school located at Fort Lee, VA. Even though he's an E-3 bucking now for E-4 they won't allow him to have his car at the fort. He's not exactly infatuated being in a facility with a bunch of USCG, USN, Air Force and Army personnel, but that's orders. As the MOS leader, he's out there by 4:30AM every day preparing his MOS guys every day for the next PFT while the others are still sleeping. Marines are certainly a "driven bunch" of folks, just like Dad always said.

Him not having a car means we have to go pick him up and return him every weekend while he's at MOS school, which means re-registering the car every time.

I broke down crying a few weeks back when Jim was in my Dad's house and noticed the "Honorary Seabee" plaque Dad got in 1973. He looked and said..."Grandpa really get this plaque?" I said yes. "Not bad. Outside of the Corps these Sea Bees seem to be a good bunch of folks, especially the combat trained ones. I'd share a foxhole with them any day." I guess that's the highest complement a US Marine can give to another service member.

Visits: