IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gary Clarke

For those of you that know Gary Clarke he has recently been diagnosed with cancer. Below is an email that was forwarded to me about his situation.

Rick

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Friends and Family,

Gary is home from surgery and resting. I'd like to say comfortably, but I highly doubt that is the case. His surgery lasted about 1.5 hours followed by 3 hours in the recover room (2 hours is required, but they wanted to get his oxygenation at a higher level more consistently before releasing him).

The doctor shared with me that his right tonsil was completely infected. The tumor in the area of the left tonsil was larger than anticipated, and took more time and caution in removal (due to the carotid artery being close by) and that it was more at the base of the tongue than the tonsil.

While a full pathology report will not be complete until late next week, an initial testing of the tumor indicates that it is cancerous, specifically basal squamous cell carcinoma. The doctor was not too familiar with this type of cancer. The additional pathology being done will indicate if there is any sign of lymphoma.

Gary has already been in touch with his Oncologist from the VA (which is how his surgery got moved up 2 weeks) and I will be sending her an email with this preliminary information for her to be able to connect with the ENT to further determine necessary course of action.

Needless to say, they gave him pretty good drugs so he will be drugged up for at least the next couple of days. He will be checking email and text messages, but it is best for him not to try and talk at this time (although trying to keep him quiet is quite a chore!!!).

So, while we were prepared for the worst, but hoping for the best, it appears that we have quite a journey ahead of us.

As we know more, we will be sure to keep everyone up to date.

Love & Blessings,

Maureen

Re: Gary Clarke

So sorry to hear about Gary's condition and we all wish him the best and pray for his recovery from this terrible disease. Ed Smock

Give him my best wishes.....

I worked with Gary somewhere, but dont remember where. I will say prayers for his quick recovery and hopefully that they got all the cancer. Give him my best when he comes around.

I remember Gary reporting to Adak ('84-'85ish) after having done a tour in Japan. Although I can't say I knew him well, I can say I remember him as a very nice guy!
Please pass along my best wishes and my promise to keep him and the entire Clarke family in my prayers.

Paul

I flat out told you...you turd that rootin' for the Yankees wasn't good for you. Dammit, Gary - once again stopped in my tracks...My heart screams to you to fight with all you got. I pray that the news from the Doctor will be the the best news ever to ring in your ears. How the F can I turn a double-play if you're not around? Write me if/when you feel up to it, my friend....AB

Rest well Gary. I will be praying for good news and quick healing!

I am so sorry to learn about Gary's illness. That is the same EXACT cancer that Joe had, except his started on his right toncil area. My thoughts and prayers for a cure to Gary and his family.

That was the same kind of cancer that I had back in 2001, I can recommend an excellent Oncologist in Norfolk at Sentara if you need, He treated mine and it's been almost 10 years now...let me know if you need anything

You'll make it, Gary. I was diag with squamous cell carcinoma of the tongue and throat in Aug. '07 and initially given 7 months.. Thanks to good doctors (and good drugs), I'm still kickin'. Let me know if you have any questions or concerns and I'll do my best to answer them for you. If they prescribe radiation, it's uncomfortable, but beneficial. I don't know what chemo you'll get but it ain't all that bad. Compazine works best for me for nausea. Have your oncologist/ENT check for bone damage from the radiation, and look into hyperbaric treatment for regrowth of bone and blood vessels. Check into Ensure nutrition drinks, and if they put you on a pump, mix it about 50/50 with water. There ARE benefits to this too, Gary. I lost 140 pounds, so my knees are thanking me. Hang in there, dude. You'll be swinging a golf club again in no time!! Thoughts and prayers.

Hang in there Gary... you can whip this thing. You are in our thoughts and prayers. Rick

FYI, Gary's wife said she would make sure he checked this site once he was feeling up to it.

Rick

Gary, our prayers are with u and your family. You have always been a fighter and this is going to be just a small battle.

Ed Snyder

Good luck Gary wishing you the best and a prayer. Remember you well from Kef and the poker games.

Kathy and I will add Gary and his family to our prayer list at home at at church. Gary is a strong willed individual. If anyone can beat this he certainly can. My thoughts are with you, shipmate.

My thoughts and prayers are with you Gary. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Here is the latest from Gary's wife and includes a link to a website that you can visit to track Gary's progress.

Rick

===============================================

Friends and Family,

Some of you are aware, but many are not, that since January Gary has been facing some health issues. We wanted to understand more about what he was facing before sharing with a broad audience. Well, as of today, we have a plan of action and are about to embark on a somewhat daunting journey.

Gary has been diagnosed with Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the tonsils with some lymph node involvement. The recommended course of action (beyond the tonsillectomy he had 10 days ago) is six weeks of radiation treatment with three chemo treatments, one at the beginning, one at the middle, and one at the end. We are looking to start the radiation toward the middle/end of April.

To be able to keep those interested up-to-date on Gary’s progress, we have created a CarePage for him, http://www.carepages.com/carepages/GClarke . This site includes information on how Gary was diagnosed and where we are at in the process of treatment. We will do our best to keep this site up-to-date as this journey progresses.

Right now we are focused on the various doctor appointments necessary to line everything up to ensure the best chance of success in providing Gary a COMPLETE cure of this cancer (yes, it is curable!!!).

Your thoughts and prayers are greatly welcome!

Love and Blessings,

Maureen

Visits: