Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: freemedical for life

I will tell you this, TFL is outstanding and is free for the remaining 20% Medicare does not cover. You will not find any plan for $115 per month that covers 80% of the medical bill as Medicare does. When I was a GS-12 I paid around $300 a month and the Government paid about $600 and NOT everything was EVER covered 100%. The $115 a month is a real bargain. I would warn everyone no matter what party you may or may not be affiliated with you better keep on top of the ALL of the proposals that are being thrust out there to satisfy one group or another. Our Military Retirement System as we know it, the Benefits, such as TFL, and VA with its benefits, I can see these all as targets and with so many of our troops returning with major disabilities I would find the VA surviving. You do the math TFL/TRICARE for active duty and retired members would be logical for a change. I personally expect TFL to start to actually cost us money for the 20% and would not be surprised to see an increase in the drug costs at Express Scripts as well.
Chuck Cable

You know - back in 1962 I had a life-altering decision to make. A huge part of the incentive for remaining in the navy and making it a career was the promise of free medical for life. Perhaps SO1 Green (credited for shipping me over) over-sold that point, but heck - I was 21 and it seemed good to me.

I'm also a realist, so as the years went (flying) by, and incremental changes popped up here and there, it wasn't all that surprising to realize that promises made a half century ago (wow) may not be totally fulfilled.

Chuck is right - keep a sharp eye on upcoming changes that will impact your individual situations. One thing is for certain folks, the states and nation have committed to more than they can afford. There aren't enough millionaires out there to get us back on track without some substantive changes to "entitlements".

Without being too political (site sensitive), I am hoping for a knight in shining armor (or at least dress canvass) to come riding over the crest of the hill, tell us the truth, be fair to us all, and do the difficult (and perhaps painful) things that will ensure that my grandchildren can experience the joys in life that we all have.

BETTER SUBJECT: The winter is over (for most of us); the garden has been tilled; the fruit trees pruned, the mowing has started, and yesterday it was quite pleasant to grab some back-porch swing. The view from my swing is the snow-capped Boise mountains. Have a great day, and enjoy the spring!
George

George, Chuck, et al --
You are both absolutely correct. We are VERY FORTUNATE to have the "medical insurance" that we have, as military retirees - ESPECIALLY those of us who are also old enough to be on Medicare/Tricare For Life !! My sister and brother-in-law pay over $1000 per month for their medical care - and that is only SUPPLEMENTAL insurance, as they are both over 65 and Medicare eligible!! So we should, indeed, count ourselves as among the lucky ones to only be paying about $100/mo. for the Part B Medicare.
That being said, we definitely should not "let our guard down" - since all entitlements are soon to be considered as cannon fodder - as the politicians "go to war". I, personally, belong to five different Military Coalition organizations (FRA, TREA, AMRA, AM.LEG, DAV) - and support their individual and collective efforts, both thru meetings, e.mails to congress, and monetarily. Even with dues & other contributions to their causes - still makes "my insurance" - a whole sight cheaper than most civilians my age & younger.
By the way, George - as I sat on my patio yesterday (after raking the lawn, opening up my pond & waterwheel, and driving my '50 DeSoto down the road a piece), I was gazing at the "snow-capped Adirondack Mountains "(West Mountain) of New York!!
Wishing everyone out there a wonderful year!
Dee

George - Just an "afterthought" upon reading your post the second time - - - - did you have to organize a working party to get all that yard work done - or did you just recruit Peg, while you held down the swing?

Think of you often: miss you guys, pinochle games & listening to the 33RPM Country & Western vinyls (or...reel-to-reel). How do you like living in Idaho?
Dee

George, sounds like you and Peg retired in paradise

Ken, It is good to hear from you. I know where you are coming from. Promises are not as good as they said they would be. It is a shame that as a group we become a huge target, hard to miss. We are probably going to lose more. Just keep on your senators and house reps to keep in ind what the military has provided for them. I am so mad that my social security isnt going to get me anywhere with prices rising the way they are. I might make a few more dollars.

Visits: