Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Gloucester County Tornados

Irv,
Went to Key West in 67 (Feb - Aug). Went back for A2 and Maint School 71 (Feb - Aug). TAD to Bermuda sometime in 77 (I think). Went out to observe SPEAR and and if I remember correctly, CP testing.

Hayes, VA is on the north side of the York River where US17 crosses. Not far from Yorktown.

Denny, thanks for the info. Glad to hear they are OK.

Paul - o.k. that makes me think that we crossed paths, perhaps twice. I went to Maint school from June - Dec '71. Also, was in Bermuda June 74-June77.
Saw more on the tornadoes last night on the Weather channel. My daughter, Fatetteville, NC said a friend's house had the roof ripped off & her cat sucked out. Also, a Lowes nearby was destroyed.
Thanks for the info - glad all the guys down that way are safe. We don't have tornadoes, hurricanes, volcanoes, earthquakes, etc. up here in the NY Adirondack mountains - maybe a bit of flooding, now & then around the rivers. That's about it.
Irv

Dee,
Forgot to mention the 70 feet of snow annually,the ice, frozen windshield with tires frozen in the ice, shoveling snow, 30K for heat in the winter and finally only 4 weeks of summer, July 4th to the first or maybe the second week in August.
You gotta love where you are!!
Chuck

Chuck - yeah, gotta agree with "some" of that propaganda about "the North Country" (maybe a "bit"exaggerated) - but then, again, studies have shown that New Englander's (we're close enough to be counted in that demographic grouping) live an average of 10-15 years longer than people in "southern climes". What this is all about - relates to the "free medical care" postings on our website - which means that I have a pretty good chance of cashing in on all those "freebies" - or, they curtail them, and I still outlive you! At least I'm not getting sucked out thru my roof by a tornado-oh, and watch out for those hurricanes in Florida (:
Love ya Chuck !!
Dee

Dee
Ah, mission accomplished!!!Chuck : )

Hi Irv,

Please excuse this tardy response. I've been in PA attending to my dad's estate with no internet access.

We were not in the same class but we were in the schoolhouse at the same time. I arrived in Key West from NAVFAC Keflavik in January 1971. Attended a mathmatics refresher course followed by Sonar A-2 before graduating from OT Maintenance school in August 1971 FFT NAVFAC Bermuda. Others in my class were Russ Oberlander, Jim Conklin, Bob Dewey, Don Tomlin, Fred Hayes and Dave Wakefield to name a few. I recall very often seeing and greeting you in the halls while we were there.

Best Regards,

Denny

Denny, on one of your trips to PA give me a heads up so we sit and talk about old times. I'm in your neck of the woods regularly. A lot of family in the neck of the woods.

You mentioned Fred Hayes a while back . . . OK, seven years back. Same Fred Hayes who was at NAVFAC BDA 1968-1970, or thereabouts? If so, would love to run him down. We had an outrageous band. Played so many well-paying gigs that I banked every paycheck for a year and a half. He had every manager on the island thinking that we were a cross between The Stones and L Zep. An amazing promoter. Decent guy. Would love to reconnect.

Visits: