IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tricare for under 65 retires costs are offered up by DOD for increase

All, hot off the Veterans Report I receive via e-mail:

DoD Asks for TRICARE Premium Increases

April 29, 2011 • Terry Howell

DoD plans to ask Con­gress to enact a law to per­ma­nently peg the rate of increase for TRICARE Prime pre­mi­ums to the National Health­care Expen­di­ture (NHE) Index. This increase tar­gets mil­i­tary retirees under age.

A DoD told the press that the deci­sion was made to use the NHE Index because it was trans­par­ent, easy to under­stand, and “fair.” But, the issue is that the NHE Index was 3.1 per­cent in 2009; and over the past quarter-century, the aver­age annual increase has been 6.4 per­cent.

This 6.4 per­cent aver­age increase is huge when com­pared to the cost-of-living-adjustment for mil­i­tary retiree pay.
Click here to find out more!

Many veterans’organizations have been push­ing to peg the TRICARE Prime pre­mium increase to the annual COLA, which is tied to the Con­sumer Price Index. Jim­mie L. Fos­ter, national com­man­der of The Amer­i­can Legion said that the “DoD plan is unac­cept­able. Many of our mil­i­tary retirees live on fixed incomes and their COLA just doesn’t keep up with the National Health Expen­di­ture Index.”

Over the last 25 years, the COLA increase has aver­aged 2.8 per­cent; about four per­cent less than the rise in national health expen­di­tures. This will mean more out-of-pocket expenses for mil­i­tary retirees and their fam­i­lies.

Is this a “fair” increase for retirees who have not seen a COLA increase since 2008? Let your elected offi­cials know how you fell about this issue.

Read more: http://militaryadvantage.military.com/2011/04/dod-asks-congress-for-tricare-premium-increases/#ixzz1LKIV1q2I
MilitaryAdvantage.Military.com

Chuck Cable

Re: Tricare for under 65 retires costs are offered up by DOD for increase

That will eat retiree pay alive. Messages to my senators and reps sent. Every retiree should review this closely and express your opinions.

Visits: