Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Hearing Loss

I only spent about half of my career in the system so others may have information that is more relevant.

I do remember the loud noise of the display room, the diesel generators, and such so I do think there is a case for those that want to check into it.

Last Friday I had VA confirmation of tinnitus. They confirmed this through a VA contracted doctor. My hearing loss was within the normal range for my age, 59, but the tinnitus is considered an issue that warrants application to the VA.

Tinnitus will result in an increase in disability based on the remaining percentage of non-disabled retirement pay. For example, if you are currently receiving 20 per cent disability they will take 10 percent of the remaining 80 percent and add that to your disability pay. They round up so 10 percent of 80 is 8, rounded up to 10 and the service member's disability becomes 30 percent. Also, when 30 percent disability is reached additional benefits are available but I don't know what they are.

Hope this helps.

Scott

OSHA allows 8 hours of exposure per day up to 90 decibels currently. I seriously doubt the din of the displays was anywhere near 90 db since you didn't need to raise your voice to talk over the noise.

Working in the generator room would be a different situation entirely. I work in manufacturing and have for nearly 30 years with noise levels far exceeding anything I encountered in a display room. My hearing is no worse for wear after all those years.

I do wear protection in high noise areas when required and wear plugs and muffs combined when I shoot.

I'd be more interested to see if you could process a claim for smoking related illness. The Military actively encouraged smoking for years with cheap cigarettes for sale and "smoke breaks". Who didn;t hear the cry smoem if you gotem?

Cheapest I remember were "searats" at $1.20 a carton in 69-71.

Greg Dyer
I'd be more interested to see if you could process a claim for smoking related illness. The Military actively encouraged smoking for years with cheap cigarettes for sale and "smoke breaks". Who didn;t hear the cry smoem if you gotem?

Cheapest I remember were "searats" at $1.20 a carton in 69-71.

How 'bout alcoholism?

I'm just a bit cynical but maybe, just maybe, we should just take responsibility for actions we take regardless of why me take them!

Come on Tim we were young and subject to the example of our elders. Hoot with owls and fly with the eagles.
Marshall

Too true Marshell!!! I remember ashtrays on every flat surface, and even on the beams!!! Ripped more than one shirt on them.

I think they kept the prices low on purpose, so they could then keep the pay low as well. In Key west in 69 I earned $42 a payday, just enough to get the essentuals for the next 2 weeks and leave a dollars worth of change for the phone and washing machines.

Same way in later years they raised basic pay less than inflation and made up for it with higher rates for allowances.

I didn't think anything about it until it was time to retire and found out how little half of my basic was.....very clever little so and sos!

Marshall Pittman
Come on Tim we were young and subject to the example of our elders. Hoot with owls and fly with the eagles.
Marshall

My point exactly Marshall...my Dad and Mom were smoking in the hospital while Mom nursed me in 1957. I've been smoking since the day I was born until 5 years ago when I got run over by a car!

Smokes, booze, beer, etc were cheap sure but the pay sucked as well. I'd have stayed in if they paid even close to what civilian life paid. E-4 in 1979 made 564 bucks a month. A month after I received my Honorable, I was making 500 bucks a WEEK!

It's all relative...and I've done my fair share of hooting and flying....I take full and utter responsibility for all of it!

Tim, Taking responsibility for Smoking and alcholism, both of which I have done, are on thing. But physical problems such as hearing loss, especially in the 50s through 70s when we didn't have the quality of safety equipment as is availible now is another. The majority of my career, 64-86, was spent around jet engines. I always wore my issue ear plugs and muffs, even specially dissigned flight helmets and still lost a good part of my hearing. There is new information coming out about varius health matters from issues that have caused health problems from the periods most of us were in and even in the last few years. Example, 2 years ago I had to have a back fustion, a few weeks ago an article came out that due the the design of the helicopter seats that have always been use have resulted in a high percentage of helo pilots and crewmen have had back fusions, even secretly while still on active duty, and a lot of them had a lot less hours than I have. So how are these health issues my responsibility?

Terry VanderHoeven
Tim, Taking responsibility for Smoking and alcoholism, both of which I have done, are on thing. But physical problems such as hearing loss, especially in the 50s through 70s when we didn't have the quality of safety equipment as is available now is another. The majority of my career, 64-86, was spent around jet engines. I always wore my issue ear plugs and muffs, even specially designed flight helmets and still lost a good part of my hearing. There is new information coming out about various health matters from issues that have caused health problems from the periods most of us were in and even in the last few years. Example, 2 years ago I had to have a back fusion, a few weeks ago an article came out that due the the design of the helicopter seats that have always been use have resulted in a high percentage of helo pilots and crewmen have had back fusions, even secretly while still on active duty, and a lot of them had a lot less hours than I have. So how are these health issues my responsibility?

Terry, my point was about smoking and alcohol consumption. If you've found problems with your health directly attributed to an occupational exposure during your years of active duty than by all means apply for VA benefits for that affliction.

Hearing loss is a cumulative loss over time. It never repairs itself over time, it only gets worse which is why age plays a factor. Those of us that grew up in the 60's and 70's listened to music at extreme levels, hunted, worked in noisy environments etc. You worked around jet engines prior to proper ear attenuation controls. I worked in high noise areas with modern ear protection but only in the last twenty years or so.

I'm sorry if I came off insensitive but smoking cigarettes and drinking excessively are both poor excuses for applying for government benefits. Any other valid problem I have no problem with.

I worked in the nuclear industry for 15 years. If I develop cancer as a result of my exposure, there's little I can do about it. I did these things with all the knowledge of the dangers and voluntarily. You were following orders and using equipment made by the lowest bidder.

Best....

Timothy

Marshall Pittman
Marshall

When I worked for my Dad in his butcher shop before joining the Navy he used to always tell me:

"If you are going to hoot with the owls you **** well better be able to crow with the roosters" :-)

How about cancer from breathing all the carbon dust for those that were in before the vaccum systems were around?? I remember going home and blowing my nose and....well you know the rest.

I used to smoke almost continuously. I figured breathing in through a cigarette was probably more healthy than just breathing in the carbon dust. Hopefully the cigarette burned up the carbon before it got into my lungs....

Greg, Jim,
I recall a few folks in Arg in 66-70 that decided to wear surgical masks for the entire watch and then hung them on the bulletin board. They were coated with carbon dust, (pre-vacuum system) and if I recall were not left hanging on the board too long.
Another issue that may be from the work we did was PAD due to the long hours standing, when Full Annotation was Required. We did not have time to do 40 and sit down before we had to start over.
Chuck

Several years ago I received a letter from the VA informing me that due to the job I had in the Navy I needed to get my lungs checked and reapply for disability benefits. (I assumed it was probably a form letter sent to all retired OT's). I complied with the letter but it didn't do anything for me. I was denied.

I got 10% for hearing loss, 20% for back and 60% for heart 70% total

If you don't mind sharing, how did you equate your heart to your military service? I'm working on a claim. Terry

Was having problems my last 2-3 years while in hawaii and was treated for high clorestrol. had some jaw pain and troule with shortness of breath doing PRT. about 4 years after I retired had 3 angioplasties, filed a claim for my back and coronary artery disease and got both. the doctor said i had to have had the condition while on active duty since it takes longer than 3 years to develop the disease.
Stay on them and get one of the service organizations (american legion, amvets, etc) to help you. If they disapprove appeal it and make sure you have all your records. good luck

Thanks for the info. My back and hearing shouldn't be much of a problem with a couple of new studies that have come out resently, and the heart is still worth a try with the stress signs in my record. Good luck to you too.

I collect benefits for my hearing loss and Tinitus. The key is to show a progressive loss over time. You can do this through your re-enlistment physicals if they show a continuous degreation of hearing. all together my loss equals 50%. check out your physicals and look at the hearing section. The VA will not check these out for you. You have to show them you progressive loss of hearing.

Robin

I retired in 2007 and although I was dubious of the whole VA process, I was amazed how easy it was. Maybe I was lucky and the Bremerton, WA office is especially efficient. The VA person went through my medical record and found things I didn't even remember. She made medical appointments for me to see three different types of doctor. I ended up getting disability for tinnitus and arthritis, the latter caused by a series of foot injuries that were definitely service-related.

I was amazed that the audiologist I saw said I had no hearing loss. My first 12 years in the Navy were in the IUSS, and other than loud watchfloor music, that probably didn't cause much hearing loss. But when I cross-rated to STS, my required audiograms got worse every time. The predominant theory was that when your hearing got significantly worse, Navy medical just changed your baseline figures to reflect the new low. Not sure if that's true or not. I know for a fact that my hearing became progressively worse in my last ten years in the Navy, but the VA doctor said that wasn't the case, so be it. My wife will attest that I am legally deaf.

Hearing loss can be service connected by the VA if you can show that you experienced it during service (compare entrance and discharge physicals) or if you developed a compensible level hearing loss within one (1) year of discharge. That is the norm with VA, but some Regional Offices are stricter, some easier. Best bet is to file a claim, and see what transpires. For tinnitus, you need only show that you have it, have a reasonable explanation for developing it (it results from acoustic trauma) and the one trick question is that it had to have started during service; can't have started after discharge. Can be all the time, or it can come and go. Disability level is set at 10%; can't be any higher than that! Advice to use a VSO (Am Legion, VFW, etc) is good, or use a CVSO if your state has them. Vietnam vets should be aware that VA has just added three (3) new presumptives to the Agent Orange list. Ischemic Heart Disease, Parkinson's and B Cell Leukemia. Anyone who set foot in RVN (or Korean DMZ 69-71) and later develops one of these will be s/c by VA. Big issue at the moment, and lots of vets have been affected. Heart disease is the leading cause of death in American men. If you are or know a VN vet, mention it!

Visits: