IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
NF Cape Hatteras

Glad I'm not stationed there now...it was a remote site when I was there 77-80 but Irene has seen fit to breach Hatteras Island in no less that 5 places, so it's REALLY cut off now...and officials say they have no idea when itll be accesable again.....

Re: NF Cape Hatteras

Greg,
Seems things just go back in time, the ferry boats are currently being used. Master Chief Raz's wife Ronda is from Hatteras. I lost track of him wonder if he is living on Hatteras, as Ronda has a lot of family there.
Fond memories of Raz, he was my "Defense Council" when I made Chief!!! We all know how much help they can be to the unsuspecting.
Chuck

Chuck, Ras was the CMC at Hatteras when we decommissioned the site. He was quite the character. Frog Walters is in contact with him on a regular basis; as I recall frog told me he does not live on Hatteras. Since time has taken its toll I can not recall exactly where Ras is living now. Cape Hatteras was a gr8 place to be stationed, met a lot a very nice local folks and the crew was good as well. I really enjoyed that tour. Gr8 fishing when the blues were running...

Ras is presently in New London, N.C. (About half way between Chatlotte and Greeensboro) Haven't talked to him since Irene went by Hatteras but amd sure everything is ok. Frog

I was stationed at Hatteras in 65-67 when it has TWO large sandoons behind the building. In 66 we had a series of bad noreasters that wiped out 2/3's of the nearest dune to the ocean. I can still remember having sand dune watches where we monitered the loss of the dune.

Hatteras was my first experience with the OT rate after I was forced to cross rate the first time. I still carry a lot of fond memories, and a couple of not so fond ones from that tour. It was a great place to break into the system. A lot of good people, a couple of whom I was fortunite enough to serve with again at San Nic. and Dam Neck. One of my best tours in my 22 year career. And yes, the fishing was great too. Sat. morning I was watching the Avon Piers webcam when they lost power.

I'm sure that there are tons of pics of the island on the web. However, Red Drum Tackle Shop in Buxton has a forums page on their website. If you visit the formums page you can navigate to a lot of pics. Rodanthe is a mess.

I was watching the storm from the Avon pier's webcam until it went out at 0800 Sat morning. It is still out, and I suspect that it will be for some time.

Visits: