IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: How many geezers are left out there?

Murf: Check out the 1965 Operations Officers Conference photo in the COSL Norfolk folder of the Photo Library. LTjg Ron Smith is seen standing second from right.

Nick,
I only had 31 years doing the gram reading thingy, so since I'm now an inexperienced youth when it comes to analysis I'll have to defer to more experienced judgement regarding all things acoustic. That means AB will have to validate anything you or Ron "like." As far as Gyoza or other such goodies, I can still make the call.

Have a great holiday pardner!

P.S. At some point I'm sure I'll be checking into that big watch section in the sky... and if there is a hereafter, it'll include a few busy mid-watch's with you and the rest of the 'geezers" there. Can't think of a better time!

Yes, I remember Ron at Barbados 63/64 timeframe. I am in my 57th year now with SOSUS/IUSS and yes Nic; retiring is not on my horizon. Maybe after the 60th anniversary I might give it some thought. Or, maybe I will wait until they tell me to "go home", the "hunt" is over... "Remember, the bear is not dead, he is only sleeping"... Ed Smock

Rick:
You may not qualify as a geezer, but when I report for duty in that future NAVFAC, I hope that we get assigned to the same watch section. I have always regarded you as one of the premier analysts I have known.

George,
It was an Honor to work for you and with you all those years ago. More than that, it is a privilege to call you and Peg our friends. The mark that you made on the people of SOSUS/IUSS stands as being among the very best the Navy and the Nation could ever ask for. Leading by example is a difficult task for anyone. For you it seemed effortless. I know it wasn't always easy. There are five names that always come to mind to just about anyone who served in the USN SOSUS/IUSS... Will James, Ed Smock, George Widenor, Jack Holdzkom, and Bob VanAlstine. You all did the job, and did it especially well. I'll look forward to that busy mid-watch...

Rick

Nick,

You and Ed are the only geezers I know still analyzing, the rest of us are still youngsters compared to you two ..

I've got 31 years and still going (30 active and 1 as a contractor). Won't ever make it up as far as you Ed though.

John

Nick-- I am pretty sure you were my CPO when I worked QA at ****eck.
Funny to hear that you are still working in the field.

Gayle, When were you in QA at Dam Neck? Nick was my LCPO in QA also. Had to be late 80's or early 90's for me. Linda Seekings was one of the QA PO's during that timeframe too. Seem to remember that Betty Hickey was the LPO too.

I was in QA in 1986 and left for COSP Hawaii in 1988... Mr. Uecker was the Officer and Nick CPO, I remember someone named Jeff Mendelshon? Bridget I can't remember all the names.

Visits: