Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: NAVFAC Kef Closure message - September 1996

Cool Jim. The originals were photos shot at COSP in 1973-74 time frame as we were developing training materials for the Pacific System. George did the lab work and Gary was assisting. Those were some really fun days with D.D. Martin, Gary, George, Bob Henshaw and I doing our best to drive readiness to new levels. The PAC SOSUS Plotting Procedures Manual, George's lighted tactical plotting table design, and some seriously high quality training tape development was crucial to the effort. I'd love to do it all again. Came to work loving the anticipation of the days work!

Oops, Rick! I pulled that gram out and compared. My analytical skills must me atrophing! Different gram cut from a different time! Nonetheless, an iconic image for all of us. - Jim

Never did meet an O Ganger who could figure out a gram.

that gram is now in my wallet, but I wish to know the final classification of "all" that is visible, and don't give me the 65XX5 TARF grouping.

If I had to make a guess Nick, I'd bet you already know what's on it... since the last time I gave you some grams to look at you aced them all.

I loved being stationed in the UK, but for Ops nothing touched Kef when I was there from 81-82. 6 months on the watchfloor and 6 months in QA. I had the honor & privilige of working with some of the best the system had to offer. Randy Scott, Doug Devers, Jim "Flash" Gordon, & Chief Dave Custer (???) taught me so much about analysis. And, of course, nobody can forget Laura Ostrout on her hands and knees on the working plot because there were so many contacts to keep track of. Butch Hanway teaching me how to run DAC. Great memories of great people.

I always love seeing the comments from alumni of The IUSS Finishing School. :)
Operations aside, Kef was just a special place to be. I remember being snowed in at the site for about 48 hours one time and we were running out of supplies, etc. We were told that they were sending out a snowplow with a huge truck behind it with food. There was still a really bad white out going on but we kept looking for the plow and, sure enough, after some time we saw a light approaching, slowly and bouncing up and down over the snow drifts. When it made its way close enough to be seen there was a Seabee sitting on the front frame of the plow with a spotlight and that's how they ended up making it there. He was covered in snow and freezing. We were all pretty humbled by that amazing feat.

I too remember my 3 years in Kef. Jim Donovan, John Lipinsek (???) and I all graduated from C School in the same class with orders to Kef. When I arrived Jim and John had all ready arrived and John went to Maintenance and Jim went to OPS. Al Warden was the OPSLCPO and I begged to send me to the watch floor. Luckily he did, but I remember walking in to the Display room and everyone was very relaxed. I spoke to the watch coordinator and said "Guess your not holding anything?". He replied that they were holding 4. I came from Nantucket before school, and wanted to stay on the floor to see "what was going to happen". What a tour and I still think of all the real fun we had doing something that "mattered". Randy is right about the "finishing school" and so many great OT's passed through the display room doors during its time.

Jim,
I'm sure you recall the following White Falcon:

Kef has a very special place in the history of ASW. There are others, some that can still not be discussed, but Adak also had a very, very special impact on SOSUS/IUSS.

Speaking of Kef and Adak... an interesting Welcome to Adak. Be sure to check out the "After" videos of Adak today. Sad to see., but at least the T-Bldg is still there.

Adak Alaska Navy Welcome Aboard video

Can anyone figure out what year the Welcome Aboard film (see Rick's message above) was taken based on people in the film (anyone recognize someone or themselves?) or know when the modular housing being constructed was built? The film mentions a third school being built in the early 1990s so I would assume it is late 1980s or early 1990s?

Visits: