IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Walt Derosia, OTACS, USN (Retired) - passing/memorial

Yesterday, I was saddened to learn that a former shipmate, Walt DeRosia, passed away on Tuesday October 11. I spoke with his son Jim this evening and he kindly shared many details regarding Walt, regarding his family and friends and wishes. I expressed my sympathy to Jim and asked that he convey my thoughts to Walt's son, Walt Jr. and his daughter, Sandra Martini.

Jim indicated that Walt passed away at a local square dance hall, doing what he loved most - dancing and socializing with family and friends. Walt and I were stationed together in Bermuda (his first tour in SOSUS, following shipboard duty as a Sonarman). Walt and I were both honored to have done tours outside the System as Navy Recruiters (different locations). We also attended two reunions at Naval Facility Pacific Beach WA and our reacquaintance was memorable, indeed. He even entertained those present at the 2007 reunion with his guitar playing and singing, accompanied by a fellow on the "blues harp" harmonica.

For those who knew Walt, he always had a smile on his face, he was constantly upbeat - and I never recall him having said a bad word of anyone.

A memorial service will be held in Tacoma, WA on Friday 10/21. His son, Jim, informed me that Walt's ashes will be spread over the waters of Puget Sound, WA in the July 2012 timeframe -when more members of the family will be able to attend.

A short obituary will be in The News Tribune (Tacoma WA) in the near future - followed, later, by a more detailed accounting of Walt's life and his picture. Walt is survived by his daughter Sandra Martini of Michigan, his son Walt Jr. of Florida, and son Jim of San Diego.

Jim, was pleased to learn that we had this website and that I would be able to post information regarding his father's death. I provided him the link to the site, so he would be able to view this message, as well as the thoughts of others who may wish to express their concolences to the family.

Time is short - family, friends and life are precious. Be well shipmates..........

Irv

Re: Walt Derosia, OTACS, USN (Retired) - passing/memorial

Walt was a truly delightful individual. I am saddened by his passing.

Walt and I met in San Diego in 1966, he was converting to Sonarman from the Signalman rating. I was in AN/SQS-23 Maint school. We were in a bar named the Black Knight located behind Sambo,s restaurant. He was complaining about his car breaking down, he said for a hundred dollars he would be rid of it ... so I bought my first car, a 1957 Ford coupe, deck grey.
We next met at the small boat landing on Ford Island 20 yrs later. We both were stationed at NOPF, Walt retired there and I went on to NAVFAC Whidbey Island.
The last time I saw Walt was at my retirement at Whidbey Island. He hopped into his RV and drove up to attend my retirement. We had a great time at the retirement party.
Now it's been another twenty years during which we've E-mailed each other. I am going to miss Walt, I always wanted to visit Washington and say Hi, but, I missed my chance.
Farewell and following seas my friend !

Another shipmate and friend has gone ahead. Truly sad to hear of Walt's passing. My sincere condolences to Walt's family. He will be missed.

A very sad day to hear of the passing of yet another fine OT and individual. My deepest thoughts and prayers are with Walt's family. Rest easy Walt, those of still hear have the watch.

After divorcing the Navy in 1991, I moved to San Diego with my family. One day, we took a trip down to Tiajuana & guess who I saw there!? Well, he recognized me first. He told me the truth about how my divorce from the Navy really came to be. What he didn't know is that he gave me peace of mind, as I kept re-visiting my past to find a clue to how I became such a worthless person.
After that meeting, I haven't revisited my past much at all. He gave me a priceless gift & I always thanked him in my heart.
Abie

I met Walt in Hawaii. He was always so upbeat. Unfortunately, we never keep up with old friends like we should. I will miss Walt. Fair Winds and Following seas shipmate.

Visits: