Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Were you ever on a ship?

My seaworthy Navy friends just love to kid me when they hear that I was in the Navy for over 4 years while never pulling sea duty. As all of you are very familiar with, being in Argentia and Eleuthera, there was never a chance to pull any sea duty. (Thank God for that,as I still get sea sick today). The only sea duty I ever had was that one week, during FSS, off the coast of Key West in '63.
And yes, I was sick for five full days.
Anyway...I was wondering how much sea duty my fellow SOSUS shipmates pulled during their naval careers. Did most stay solely with the NavFacs, pulling shore duty? Did the twenty, or thirty year folks go from NavFacs to ships...and back again?
What say ye?
I'd love to hear your tales.

Re: Were you ever on a ship?

Had the opportunity right before I retired. While doing my last Navy tour at NAVFAC CVB I volunteered to be a ship rider on an FFG conducting an ASW exercise en route to Hawaii from San Diego. The exercise was fairly fruitless. The skipper didn't think that it was worthy of an FFG to be pulling a hydrophone cable at slow speeds, so he pretty much didn't! I enjoyed the experience, and of course it helped tremendously that I was a Chief. I am happy to be able to say that during my 22 year career I did spend two weeks at sea aboard a ship, and am probably much saltier now than I would have been without the experience. LOL

1. In the beginning, the OT slots were filled with sonarmen (SOs; name change to ST came later), the idea (a good one) being that the skills needed in the SO job at sea complemented those for SOSUS and vice versa. CVB's commissioning crew had SOs on their first duty tour after A-school and SOSUS training, plus 2 sea-experienced SOCs and a submarine qualified SO-1 (SS).

2. Five submarines and a cruiser.

3. One serves 'in' a ship, not 'on' it, per the dean of naval historians, Samuel Elliot Morison.

No sea duty at all. Spent 13 years as an OTM, stationed in Bermuda, Va Beach, Iceland and Whidbey Island.

My Brother retired as a Gunners Mate, and would kid me about "flushing" more seawater then I was ever on!

Travis

Nope! Took a tour of an LST in Virginia Beach before I enlisted though...

My sea duty was riding the "Rock" in Keflavik with a bunch of miscreants like myself!

It was a good ride though!

I spent several years on submarines, but that was after I was an OTA.

Though I did spend a very bizarre few hours on a Spruance DDG one time. My submarine was tied up to the DDG off the coast of Oman for a few days, and one morning I was standing watch topside when the seas became really rough and my CO decided to cast off and get underway until the weather got better. I was one of a few submariners topside who had to look from the destroyer as our boat shut the hatches and cast off. The crew of the Spruance was very cordial, and they offered us lunch. We were amazed at the size of their mess decks, and although the food was pretty awful (but then again so was ours), we were grateful. I remember getting a lot of strange looks as we sat there, and not just because we didn't belong and we smelled funny. Finally, some fellow E6 from the ship came up and said to me "You know, you're sitting in the junior enlisted section. The First Class Mess is over there". I thanked him and politely declined the invitation, thinking it best that we stick together.

Other than FSS sea phase, I only experienced the sea from the scullery windows on Eleuthera. But I was told by a visiting inspection office that it was the prettiest view he had ever seen from a scullery, now that’s got to count for something. Thanks to you my stay was short lived and I returned to the “T” building one day short of “Dish Pan Hands”. Thanks Charlie

I spent a bit over a year and a half on 2 different DE's (THe USS Van Voorhis, and the USS Lester) as part of the ITASS contingent. We did the Tech Eval in Exuma sound in early 70, and the OpEval off of Bermuda later that year. We then deployed to Naples Italy, and were shifted over to the Lester. We then did a lot of patroling in the Med, tail wet. At the time I hated it, with the exception of the warm summer nights in the Caribbean...I look back on it now (with rose tinted glasses) and feel it was the best time of my 20 years....

Greg... Did you know an OT named Harry Jones while on the Van Voorhis..? He left the Van Voorhis for Bermuda in early 1972...

Was 1st stationed on USS Van Voorhis DE 1028 in Jan 1970, Newport. Went to Naples on her in June 70, then transferred to the USS Lester DE1022 and sailed her till Sept 72 just before she went on her final run across the Atlantic to be decommissioned. Found a photo of that bad assed Rooskie cruiser that passed us by Aug 72, he took a picture of us too. Put them on FB.
To see some good photos of the Lester boat and more, look me up on facebook.
Just search for Bob Kohl on FB.
God bless ya'all!!

Can't hold a candle to you Denny, but my few years on the McCloy (FF1038) were absolutely some of my best memories. And to think I owe all that to Chief Setchell who gleefully volunteered me from OTEC in 75... which is where I first met Denny, right there at FSS Key West in the SQR-15 lab. I was priviledged years later to ride many of the SQR-18 ships as a rep for NAVSEA, and later ride the Moosbrugger (DD980) for OPTEVFOR during her SQR-19 trials. And Don Dyer was my skipper on the McCloy, I was honored to serve with him again when he was the Moose skipper years later. Best times of all, not a doubt!

Denny, shoot me an email bud.

Jumping in here late. 19 yaers and 9 months as an OT with 22 days at sea. Was with Denny Conrad and Dave Fife on the Albert David. We took part in some exercise.

Hey Al, it was good to see your name. I had forgotten you were on the Albert David for that exercise as well. As far as my ship time I was a rider on many ships, subs and aircraft, but never stationed on one. Do you remember if we had a female officer rider on board the David from CVB for that exercise or was she on the Bronstein? Anyway write me back and tell me what you have been doing for the last twenty years.

Greg Dyer
I spent a bit over a year and a half on 2 different DE's (THe USS Van Voorhis, and the USS Lester) as part of the ITASS contingent. We did the Tech Eval in Exuma sound in early 70, and the OpEval off of Bermuda later that year. We then deployed to Naples Italy, and were shifted over to the Lester. We then did a lot of patroling in the Med, tail wet. At the time I hated it, with the exception of the warm summer nights in the Caribbean...I look back on it now (with rose tinted glasses) and feel it was the best time of my 20 years....

Hello Greg,

My "rememberer" doesn't work as well as it used to and I am trying to picture you but I was also on the USS Van Voorhis and then the USS Lester as part of the ITASS group. At the time I was a Radioman but re-enlisted (while underway) on the Lester under the SCORE program to convert to ET. I left the Lester and Naples shortly after my daughter was born at the Naval Hospital in Naples. Went through both ET schools (ETN and ETR) and stayed in the Navy until 1980.

To think back, when I reported aboard the Van Vee in Newport, RI, I was a 20 year old kid. Now at 63 years old, those days bring back a lot of fond memories.

When I was at sonar school I failed on eweek of school.And they put me on one of the mini subs that we used during sea phase,to clean the bildge.Lucky I was skinny then .Then during sea phase I was on the fantail of the DE when it took a hard turn.Water came over the fantail and washed me almost overboard.Those were the only ships that I was on.argentia 63 to 65.

I think I hold some sort of record for the longest service in the U.S. Navy (34 consecutive years) with the shortest amount of time on a ship (7 consecutive days)!

In 2002 I accompanied a friend (CDR Jack Steiner) embarked in USS HARRAY S TRUMAM CVN-75 during underway ORSE inspection. I recall asking Jack when the ship would leave the pier. His response "We left 2 hours ago, Jim!"

At the conclusion of my command tour at NOPF Dam Neck, my 4 Department Heads (all prior enlisted Limited Duty Officers) presented me with an honorary Sea Service Ribbon prominently mounted and framed!

FSS Key West, San Nicolas, Pacific Beach, ASW School San Diego (no ships available during sea phase), Eleuthera, Argentia, Bermuda, COSP Hawaii (Ford Island Ferry), Keflavik, Centerville. Twenty-two years, never underway.

Many years following my retirement, my Cub Scout grandson's Pack spent an overnight on the USS Hornet (tied up in Alameda as a museum). So.......Cory James and grandpa walked up the gangway with our backpacks and spent the night. Bunks hanging (three high) from the overhead, galleys, heads, hatches, ladders, yep - we enjoyed it all. The volunteer crew (retired bird-farm sailors) do a great job keeping things the way they were.

This March we cruised from Ft Lauderdale to San Diego aboard the MS Statendam, so I have inhaled salt air.

After A school, my first duty station was NAVFAC Ramey in 1954 to 56. As the Navy at that time believed that every sailor had to have sea duty, I was transferred to sea along with many of the original crew
I spent 56 to 57 on board the USS Hickox DD673 out of Newport RI. It was an great experience that I have many memories of to this day.
in 20 months we visited Spain, France, Greece, Turkey and Egypt. Went through the Suez canal to Bahrain and Saudi Arabia. Then came back to Newport, only to be sent up into the north sea to planeguard for the FDR while testing missles in cold weather.
Saw a lot of places in a very short period in time.

During STG Class "A" school sea-phase (two-weeks) at FSS Key West I embarked in four different ships...USS Beale (DD-471), USS Strong (DD-758), USS Vogelgesang (DD-862), and USS Harold J. Ellison (DD-864). Following "O" school I served at NAVFACS San Salvador, Pacific Beach, Keflavik, and Bermuda before going to factory school for AN/SQR-15 TASS.

Assigned to USS Albert David (DE-1050)as part of her first 10 OT TASS crew,we had to await her return from WESTPAC in her home port of Long Beach, CA. Prior to her return, three of us were assigned to ride USNS S. P. Lee (T-AG 192) during RIMPAC 73. When aboard DE-1050 I saw the TASS installed and tested at sea, switched homeport to San Diego, and enjoyed a WESTPAC cruise before ordered to Instructor Duty. Spent 1975-76 in Key West and 1977-79 in Norfolk as an OT class "A" school, OTECH, and TASS instructor at FLEASWTRACENLANT.

April 1979 put me back to sea in TASS equipped USS McCloy (FF-1038) homeported in Norfolk, VA. From Jun 79 to spring 1980 we endured an overhaul (ROH) in NORSHIPCO's Berkley Plant. Post overhaul we made a port visit to Ft Lauderdale, FL and a successful ASW patrol in the Bermuda ASW sector before going to GTMO for REFTRA followed by COMPTUEX in preparation for a Med Cruise.

In Feb 1981 we deployed to the Med where we were tasked to perform independently of the battlegroup under CTF-66 OPCON. We (the OTs) were "tail-wet" and successfully engaged in our trade during a majority of our deployment. Our success during this deployment was rewarded with a "Hook-em" award and a Navy Unit Commendation. After our return to CONUS we participated in Operation Strong Shield, and two successful ASW patrols in the Bermuda ASW sector prior to my transfer to COMNAVSURFLANT staff as the assistant ASW Officer. After three years on staff duty I transferred to my twilight tour at NOPF DN transferring to fleet reserve 28 Feb 1987.

My civilian career was spent at a contractor supporting surface ship and submarine ASW systems including AN/SQR-15, AN/SQR-18, AN/SQR-19, TB-16, TB-23, TB-29, and SURTASS. The list of USN and USNS ships I've ridden as a civilian numbers 23. I've also cruised the caribbean and to Bermuda on five separate cruise ships. I've transferred from one ship to another via helecopters and even been shot off a carrier on a COD!

Having written all this down for the first time in my life I now recognize why both of my knees required total replacement.

Best regards to all,

Denny

A lot of ladder work will do that to you. You enjoyed every minuet of it.
Marshall

Thank you, and your "knees". for such outstanding service to our country Denny

1962-63 USS Willis A. Lee DL-4 out of Newport RI
Also in crew Don Tong and Bob Sterry.
Rode several DDG's and CG's on Sea Trials out of Pascagoula MS.
Chuck

I am not sure why I am even answering this question but here goes: FSS 7 days, no nights, sea phase on reserve Tin Cans 1966. E-6 Reserve Sonarman in charge, once we left the pier he would open an empty electronic cabinet take a nip from a hidden bottle and take a nap. Once he heard the call "Sonar Contact" by one of us who were manning the SQS-4 with RDT he would chase us off the stack and proceed to loose contact. I must have missed something in class!!! The Mary's Point Landing Ferry 1970 for maybe 3-4 months. Plenty of fishing boats in and around Bermuda and Eleuthera. Once as a NUWC GS in the TOTO on one of the range boats for 5 nights 6 days
in 10-12 foot seas with a suspended test array which
the OLD "O" class Diesel (Then a Canadian asset) decided to circle our small boat as fast as it could to make a final CPA on the array and proceeded to crashed right into the array and nearly ripped our stern off. That made me believe I had done the right thing not going to sea in my Navy days and I promptly told the test director. whom I worked for, "that was my last Acoustic Trial".
So that is my experience at sea.
Chuck
Chuck

NAVFAC CVB, USS Bronstien DE-1037,ASWTRACENLANT, NAVFAC Brawdy, USS Garcia FF-1040, ASWOC Sigonella, NAVFAC Brawdy, NOPF Ford Island. 20 years almost 4 years at sea, wish it had beed more.

Spent the full twenty without ever being on a ship that wasn't tied to a dock. The first ship I ever was on was a Canadian Destroyer having an open house in Pearl Harbor. Last vessel I was on was a British sub in Dover which had a Sgt's Mess function for the Americans at JMF. Almost went on a exercise cruise on a Britsh FF right before I retired, but another OTA1 came up about a week before and asked if I would let him go. I have run into Army guys and Marines who have more sea time than me.

USS John Adams SSBN 620 April 68 to March 71. Three deterent patrols fm guam, Hawaii, and rota. Did an overhaul in bremerton and a canal transit east to west. Then I found the OT world.

The only “ship” I was on during my 4 years in the Navy was the USS Never Sail (or what ever the mock-up ship was called in the middle of the grinder at boot camp San Diego). No sight of ships at BE&E school in Great Lakes and FSS Key West was straight OT school by 1971 when I was there with no sea-phase involved. Wasn’t even on a rubber raft during tours at NavFac Point Sur or Adak. As the third photo on the 55th Aniv. Celebration photos indicates, standing next to the battleship Wisconsin at the Norfolk waterfront was the closest I have ever been to a Navy ship! (However, I’ve been on lots of fishing boats, ski boats, and air boats doing water sampling in lakes and rivers in the Southeast for the last 34 years!)

USS Albert David with Denny Conrad for my first duty station as an OT (73 - 75). Also rode USNS S.P. Lee for a week or so with Denny in 73. Next shipboard experiences came as a contractor aboard various research vessels and doing some installs on MCM's, MHC's, CV's and the C3F flagship.

Found that I turned a really interesting shade of green immediately after "single up all lines" was passed and returned to my normal complexion about 4 to 5 days later. Denny generally watched me pretty closely and kept me away from loaded firearms, sharp objects and the lifelines while I was suffering from Mal de Mer. Has to be the most miserable feeling in the world. But it was worth the misery to pull into Hong Kong, Subic, etc. for liberty.

First let me say that going to "O" school was the right decision for me. I was sick both days we were out during sea phase (16 hours total). I got sun stroke and passed out on the bridge on the first day. My Air Force and Army brothers had more time at sea than I did.
I'll take Antigua, Pac Beach, Guam, Kef, and SNI over a ship anytime!

62-63 USS Essex CVS 9 OJT when SQS23 Sonar System was installed.
63-64 Sonar and O School Key West, I was the only one in my Sonar Class that had been to sea prior to sea phase.
64-66 NavFacNan

I too spent the obligatory week in sea phase at Key West on one of the old WW2 DEs. It even had "Weapon Alpha" and Hedgehogs. Next time was 6 weeks on the RV Moana Wave in 1978 for SURTASS Engineering Development testing. Then after retirement, 13 years as a SURTASS ship tech. Lost 15 pounds on the first mission. Ate a lot of apples. Spent time on the SID, talking to P3s. Many missions on the Prevail in the Med. Then on various other TAGOS. Bold and then Assertive with the original "Twin-Line", Loyal with the RDA (best array) to the North Atlantic in the winter, fjords were fine weather havens. Effective in the SOJ, ECS, and NW PAC (you can see the volcanoes on the Kamchatka Peninsula on a clear day). Looking back, it was great fun and mighty interesting.

All of my Navy float time was during my last USNR-TAR, That was a no float tour(that also means no sea pay) in 71 and 72. I lost count of how many 5 day plane guard dets I was assigned to on CVS Tigonderoga, while the Lexington was in overhaul. I did enjoy spending 8 weeks as the Air Det. OPSO on HMS Provider for RIMPAC-71. Following that experience, during which all my Regular Navy friends had less Sea time than I did I put in my papers to go USN and transtioned to P3s. After I retired a discovered that the cruise ships going to Alaska and the Bahamas were MUCH nicer and more comfortable.

The one BIG difference I remember after all these years is when I reported to Navfac Lewes off the USS Lester and was told I had to get rid of all my Dungaree uniforms and buy new ones...the reason? My Seafarers were faded almosr white (DUH, I streamed them off the fantail for a long time to get that salty look) and they were liberally sprinkled with haze grey, deck grey, macherinry grey oh, and red lead. Of course they were, they were working uniforms!

Made no difference though, I had to bin the lot and buy all new ones....

Prior to coming into a port for liberty, we use to stream our dress blues. The salt picked up sparkled at night in the neon lights.
By the way I served a total of 7 years on shipboard. 3 on the USS Bushnell AS-15 in Key West Fl. 4 on the USS Isle Royal AD-29 Long Beach CA. For the 4 years there I had 11 months with my family. Then I found "The Green Doors".
Marshall

Guess it is time for me to "weigh anchor" - to account for my very limited time aboard various ships/subs during my 23 years of active duty. I was fortunate enough to have embarked on a few, although I was never part of ship's company:

1) While statined at NavFac Pac Beach (59-61):
a) aboard USS Coral Sea (CVA-43) in Bremerton WA for two days visiting/touring the ship with another shipmate and his friend who was serving on this ship.
b) aboard the USS Missouri (BB-63) "The Mighty MO"
with my wife for a tour of the ship in Bremerton WA. Got chewed out by the OOD (CPO) as I hit the deck from the gangplank - forgetting to salute the colors.

2) While stationed at NavFac SNI (61-62):
Aboard the USS Bennington (CV-20) for two weeks operating off the coast of southern CA in ASW/Flight OP exersices (lost one plane in night ops)-pilot survived, unharmed.

3) While stationed at NavFac BDA (1966-1969):
Aboard the USS Greenling (SSN-614) for about 2 weeks (classified mission) following sinking of the USS Scorpion (SSN-589) - pulled shore patrol duty during our one overnight port call in St. Thomas.

4) While stationed at NavFac BDA (1974-7977):
Aboard the Amerigo Vespucci, Italian Naval Cadet Training ship) with my family for tour of the ship and dining in at invitation of their CPO mess - during OpSail 76.

5) While stationed at COSP (1978-81):
a) Aboard USS Tunny (SSN-682) for family day cruise in waters around Oahu HI.
b) Aboard the USS Enterprise (CVN-65) - world's first nuc powered aircraft carrier. Family tour, ship on its way to 10th WestPac cruise after extensive overhaul in Puget Sound shipyard.
c) Aboard the USS Worden (CG-18), guided missle cruiser, for one-week family cruise to/from Maui HI.

6) Following retirement:
a)1993 and 1997: family toured USS North Carolina (BB-66) (now a museum) in Wilmington NC.
b) 2009: Linda and I toured USS Wisconsin (BB-64)(museum) in Norfolk, VA while attending IUSS 55th reunion.

My hat is off to all those who did their time at sea in service to our nation. In some small way, I can better appreciate thier sacrifice, having experienced a few weeks at sea.

Best to all - very interesting post, lots of good "sea stories" !!!...........Irv

Not as an OT (86-96), but once I converted to STG and then picked up LDO I spent a fair amount of time on them. I have completed four deployments on USS DeWert (FFG-45), USS Laboon (DDG-58), and USS Enterprise (CVN-65). While I never envisioned it during the days as an OTA, I have truly enjoyed it since the merger.

When I was on CNFJ Staff my boss was a carrier pilot as was his boss and they were determine to get me to sea. Long story short I spent 22 days deployed on the USS TICONDEROGA, CVS.

Ed when were you on the Ticonderoga? Was was doing Dets. on her in 71-72.

It was around late 71- early 72 when Tico was conducting joint exsercises with JMSDF in the SOJ. I do not remember exact dates. Departed Yokosuka and came into Sasebo where I disembarked. RADM Longino was the flag on board at the time. I worked with a Lt Frye.

USS Edson (DD-946)
USS King (DLG-10)
USS John King (DDG-3)
USS Sustain (AFDM-7)
USS Albert David (FF-1050)
USS Harry W. Hill (DD-986)
USS Kinkaid (DD-965)
Served 2 wks sea phase ST "A" 1965 onboard USS Berry (DE-1035)

So, that would be a "yes" then?

12 yrs at sea plus
NAVFAC Turks
NAVFAC Brawdy
TASS instructor
NOPF Ford Island
COSP Pearl Harbor
NAVFAC Whidbey Island

My first 2 yrs in the Navy were as an undesignated airman on the USS Dwight D Eisenhower CVN69. I was assigned to the arresting gear crew. I worked on the flight deck most of that tour. Did several work up cruises and one Med cruise before going to AW "A" school. Long story short, I then ended up as an OT and never saw a ship again.

I spent 2 years ('73-'75)on board U.S.S. SAMPLE (DE/FF-1048) out of Pearl Harbor after my first tour at NavFac Barbers Point.

Met the ship on WestPac in Subic Bay, PI and returned to Pearl Harbor in DEC '73. Then immediately managed a set TAD orders to the U.S.S. BRONSTEIN (DE/FF-1037) on deployment in WestPac. The BRONSTEIN was short of TASS-qualified OTs and had asked for volunteers. It was an offer I couldn't resist :-) Got back to Pearl Harbor and the SAMPLE in MAY '74 in time to go into the yards which was not near as much fun as being on deployment.

I enjoyed my time on board ship and looking back now I sometimes wish I would have spent more time on board ship.

Rick

Hi all...Haven't posted for quite some time, being busy with my dear mother (passed away in July this year), work, and a thousand other things, but I couldn't resist this subject. My sea time was, by far, the best, and most enjoyable part of my Navy career. I still miss being at sea (brain damage??). I served on five ships total. My first two were WWII-era Sumner class and Gearing class destroyers, where I started out as a "deck ape", then (gladly!) answered a call for volunteers in the ship's laundry, becoming a Ships Serviceman. It was at my first shore tour (1976), Nav Fac Centerville Beach, as an SH2, that I was introduced to the wonderful world of the OT. I was so intrigued by the shroud of secrecy over the rate, that, after talking with a neighbor (an OT, coincidentally) in a Fortuna trailer park, and plenty of arm twisting from my young wife, I decided to convert...it was a shore based rate, and I was a newly wed with a baby on the way. I thought, "what can I lose??". To make a long story short, after a year and a half of "pounding the mats" at Centerville, I took the OT2 test, missing the cut-off for a convertee by one point. I was sent to OT "A" School in Norfolk, where I passed the final with flying colors. After a two year tour at Brawdy, I decided I missed being at sea, so I took orders to TASS outfitted USS Garcia (FF1040), out of Charleston, SC. We left for the Med a month after I reported, and I had a blast, seeing Europe, and being "tail wet" as a sea going OT! After Garcia, I went to COSL, then back to sea aboard USS Koelsch (FF1049), in 1984, catching them in Naples, Italy, already mid way through a Med Cruise (Koelsch was home ported in Mayport, Fl.). While in the Med, we (the OT's) had a blast, and did so well with the tail we earned the 6th Fleet Hook Em award. Shortly after getting back to the States, the tail (and the OT's) were removed from Koelsch, and installed aboard USS Comte De Grasse (DD974), in Norfolk, Va. DD974 was my last ship. I was aboard Comte De Grasse long enough to get the tail successfully installed, and to certify it at sea. DD974's Skipper wasn't crazy about TASS, and most of our sea time whle I was aboard was gun shoots, and for various other system qualifications. In 1987 I transferred to NOPF Ford Island, never to ride haze gray again. I thoroughly enjoyed my time as a "sailor" in the US Navy.

Hey Earnie,You forgot our two weeks on the Bronstein.

I think I might know you! Your name rings a bell from the Sample I believe or maybe another location.

Hey Rick, we served together on the Sample 74-76. I was the TASS Officer. Besides our division getting impressive results while underway I remember too much Sake in Yokohama. We were fortunate that our CO appreciated the unique nature of TASS. I got out after that tour and went to San Diego working for SYSCON and SAIC for the next 38 yrs. Retired and living in Asheville, NC.

Did 28 years 6 months and with the exception of two weeks sea phase at FSS did not serve one day aboard ship.

Charlie...

3 Navfac's in 3 years an no ships... Thinking back I remember the first "pitch" I heard about an opportunity to avoid ship-board duty... The pitchman couldn't say much about it however there was the promise of "NO SEA DUTY"... I remember talking it over with about 10 others also being recriuted for the program... We were just finishing electronics "A" school at Great Lakes... Not everyone bought into the promise... So it was off to key West... Everyone finishing in my class went to a Nacfac... Not so for some in the class before us or the class following us... I don;pt remember volunteering for anything else...

Only served in the Navy for 3 years. The first 18 months were at Navfac SNI and the last 18 months were as the XO on USNS Bowditch (OCEANOUNIT 1)

1 2
Visits: