Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Were you ever on a ship?

I too spent the obligatory week in sea phase at Key West on one of the old WW2 DEs. It even had "Weapon Alpha" and Hedgehogs. Next time was 6 weeks on the RV Moana Wave in 1978 for SURTASS Engineering Development testing. Then after retirement, 13 years as a SURTASS ship tech. Lost 15 pounds on the first mission. Ate a lot of apples. Spent time on the SID, talking to P3s. Many missions on the Prevail in the Med. Then on various other TAGOS. Bold and then Assertive with the original "Twin-Line", Loyal with the RDA (best array) to the North Atlantic in the winter, fjords were fine weather havens. Effective in the SOJ, ECS, and NW PAC (you can see the volcanoes on the Kamchatka Peninsula on a clear day). Looking back, it was great fun and mighty interesting.

All of my Navy float time was during my last USNR-TAR, That was a no float tour(that also means no sea pay) in 71 and 72. I lost count of how many 5 day plane guard dets I was assigned to on CVS Tigonderoga, while the Lexington was in overhaul. I did enjoy spending 8 weeks as the Air Det. OPSO on HMS Provider for RIMPAC-71. Following that experience, during which all my Regular Navy friends had less Sea time than I did I put in my papers to go USN and transtioned to P3s. After I retired a discovered that the cruise ships going to Alaska and the Bahamas were MUCH nicer and more comfortable.

The one BIG difference I remember after all these years is when I reported to Navfac Lewes off the USS Lester and was told I had to get rid of all my Dungaree uniforms and buy new ones...the reason? My Seafarers were faded almosr white (DUH, I streamed them off the fantail for a long time to get that salty look) and they were liberally sprinkled with haze grey, deck grey, macherinry grey oh, and red lead. Of course they were, they were working uniforms!

Made no difference though, I had to bin the lot and buy all new ones....

Prior to coming into a port for liberty, we use to stream our dress blues. The salt picked up sparkled at night in the neon lights.
By the way I served a total of 7 years on shipboard. 3 on the USS Bushnell AS-15 in Key West Fl. 4 on the USS Isle Royal AD-29 Long Beach CA. For the 4 years there I had 11 months with my family. Then I found "The Green Doors".
Marshall

Guess it is time for me to "weigh anchor" - to account for my very limited time aboard various ships/subs during my 23 years of active duty. I was fortunate enough to have embarked on a few, although I was never part of ship's company:

1) While statined at NavFac Pac Beach (59-61):
a) aboard USS Coral Sea (CVA-43) in Bremerton WA for two days visiting/touring the ship with another shipmate and his friend who was serving on this ship.
b) aboard the USS Missouri (BB-63) "The Mighty MO"
with my wife for a tour of the ship in Bremerton WA. Got chewed out by the OOD (CPO) as I hit the deck from the gangplank - forgetting to salute the colors.

2) While stationed at NavFac SNI (61-62):
Aboard the USS Bennington (CV-20) for two weeks operating off the coast of southern CA in ASW/Flight OP exersices (lost one plane in night ops)-pilot survived, unharmed.

3) While stationed at NavFac BDA (1966-1969):
Aboard the USS Greenling (SSN-614) for about 2 weeks (classified mission) following sinking of the USS Scorpion (SSN-589) - pulled shore patrol duty during our one overnight port call in St. Thomas.

4) While stationed at NavFac BDA (1974-7977):
Aboard the Amerigo Vespucci, Italian Naval Cadet Training ship) with my family for tour of the ship and dining in at invitation of their CPO mess - during OpSail 76.

5) While stationed at COSP (1978-81):
a) Aboard USS Tunny (SSN-682) for family day cruise in waters around Oahu HI.
b) Aboard the USS Enterprise (CVN-65) - world's first nuc powered aircraft carrier. Family tour, ship on its way to 10th WestPac cruise after extensive overhaul in Puget Sound shipyard.
c) Aboard the USS Worden (CG-18), guided missle cruiser, for one-week family cruise to/from Maui HI.

6) Following retirement:
a)1993 and 1997: family toured USS North Carolina (BB-66) (now a museum) in Wilmington NC.
b) 2009: Linda and I toured USS Wisconsin (BB-64)(museum) in Norfolk, VA while attending IUSS 55th reunion.

My hat is off to all those who did their time at sea in service to our nation. In some small way, I can better appreciate thier sacrifice, having experienced a few weeks at sea.

Best to all - very interesting post, lots of good "sea stories" !!!...........Irv

Not as an OT (86-96), but once I converted to STG and then picked up LDO I spent a fair amount of time on them. I have completed four deployments on USS DeWert (FFG-45), USS Laboon (DDG-58), and USS Enterprise (CVN-65). While I never envisioned it during the days as an OTA, I have truly enjoyed it since the merger.

When I was on CNFJ Staff my boss was a carrier pilot as was his boss and they were determine to get me to sea. Long story short I spent 22 days deployed on the USS TICONDEROGA, CVS.

Ed when were you on the Ticonderoga? Was was doing Dets. on her in 71-72.

It was around late 71- early 72 when Tico was conducting joint exsercises with JMSDF in the SOJ. I do not remember exact dates. Departed Yokosuka and came into Sasebo where I disembarked. RADM Longino was the flag on board at the time. I worked with a Lt Frye.

USS Edson (DD-946)
USS King (DLG-10)
USS John King (DDG-3)
USS Sustain (AFDM-7)
USS Albert David (FF-1050)
USS Harry W. Hill (DD-986)
USS Kinkaid (DD-965)
Served 2 wks sea phase ST "A" 1965 onboard USS Berry (DE-1035)

So, that would be a "yes" then?

12 yrs at sea plus
NAVFAC Turks
NAVFAC Brawdy
TASS instructor
NOPF Ford Island
COSP Pearl Harbor
NAVFAC Whidbey Island

My first 2 yrs in the Navy were as an undesignated airman on the USS Dwight D Eisenhower CVN69. I was assigned to the arresting gear crew. I worked on the flight deck most of that tour. Did several work up cruises and one Med cruise before going to AW "A" school. Long story short, I then ended up as an OT and never saw a ship again.

I spent 2 years ('73-'75)on board U.S.S. SAMPLE (DE/FF-1048) out of Pearl Harbor after my first tour at NavFac Barbers Point.

Met the ship on WestPac in Subic Bay, PI and returned to Pearl Harbor in DEC '73. Then immediately managed a set TAD orders to the U.S.S. BRONSTEIN (DE/FF-1037) on deployment in WestPac. The BRONSTEIN was short of TASS-qualified OTs and had asked for volunteers. It was an offer I couldn't resist :-) Got back to Pearl Harbor and the SAMPLE in MAY '74 in time to go into the yards which was not near as much fun as being on deployment.

I enjoyed my time on board ship and looking back now I sometimes wish I would have spent more time on board ship.

Rick

Hi all...Haven't posted for quite some time, being busy with my dear mother (passed away in July this year), work, and a thousand other things, but I couldn't resist this subject. My sea time was, by far, the best, and most enjoyable part of my Navy career. I still miss being at sea (brain damage??). I served on five ships total. My first two were WWII-era Sumner class and Gearing class destroyers, where I started out as a "deck ape", then (gladly!) answered a call for volunteers in the ship's laundry, becoming a Ships Serviceman. It was at my first shore tour (1976), Nav Fac Centerville Beach, as an SH2, that I was introduced to the wonderful world of the OT. I was so intrigued by the shroud of secrecy over the rate, that, after talking with a neighbor (an OT, coincidentally) in a Fortuna trailer park, and plenty of arm twisting from my young wife, I decided to convert...it was a shore based rate, and I was a newly wed with a baby on the way. I thought, "what can I lose??". To make a long story short, after a year and a half of "pounding the mats" at Centerville, I took the OT2 test, missing the cut-off for a convertee by one point. I was sent to OT "A" School in Norfolk, where I passed the final with flying colors. After a two year tour at Brawdy, I decided I missed being at sea, so I took orders to TASS outfitted USS Garcia (FF1040), out of Charleston, SC. We left for the Med a month after I reported, and I had a blast, seeing Europe, and being "tail wet" as a sea going OT! After Garcia, I went to COSL, then back to sea aboard USS Koelsch (FF1049), in 1984, catching them in Naples, Italy, already mid way through a Med Cruise (Koelsch was home ported in Mayport, Fl.). While in the Med, we (the OT's) had a blast, and did so well with the tail we earned the 6th Fleet Hook Em award. Shortly after getting back to the States, the tail (and the OT's) were removed from Koelsch, and installed aboard USS Comte De Grasse (DD974), in Norfolk, Va. DD974 was my last ship. I was aboard Comte De Grasse long enough to get the tail successfully installed, and to certify it at sea. DD974's Skipper wasn't crazy about TASS, and most of our sea time whle I was aboard was gun shoots, and for various other system qualifications. In 1987 I transferred to NOPF Ford Island, never to ride haze gray again. I thoroughly enjoyed my time as a "sailor" in the US Navy.

Hey Earnie,You forgot our two weeks on the Bronstein.

I think I might know you! Your name rings a bell from the Sample I believe or maybe another location.

Hey Rick, we served together on the Sample 74-76. I was the TASS Officer. Besides our division getting impressive results while underway I remember too much Sake in Yokohama. We were fortunate that our CO appreciated the unique nature of TASS. I got out after that tour and went to San Diego working for SYSCON and SAIC for the next 38 yrs. Retired and living in Asheville, NC.

Did 28 years 6 months and with the exception of two weeks sea phase at FSS did not serve one day aboard ship.

Charlie...

3 Navfac's in 3 years an no ships... Thinking back I remember the first "pitch" I heard about an opportunity to avoid ship-board duty... The pitchman couldn't say much about it however there was the promise of "NO SEA DUTY"... I remember talking it over with about 10 others also being recriuted for the program... We were just finishing electronics "A" school at Great Lakes... Not everyone bought into the promise... So it was off to key West... Everyone finishing in my class went to a Nacfac... Not so for some in the class before us or the class following us... I don;pt remember volunteering for anything else...

Only served in the Navy for 3 years. The first 18 months were at Navfac SNI and the last 18 months were as the XO on USNS Bowditch (OCEANOUNIT 1)

Still active duty, 29 years and counting. Short of the ferry ride from Argentia to Sydney Nova Scotia, a grueling overnight trip, and a dependents cruise on an oiler from Oahu to Maui, have never been part of a ships crew....am hoping for selection on the Mercy for Pacific Partnership 2012....heres keeping my fingers crossed....for now....I languish in the desert near 29 Palms.

I have my Sea Service Ribbon, Courtesy of OTCM Bob Hart and his passion for Navy Regs ;)

20 years and 0 sea duty, unless the Ford Island ferry counts.

I did one cruise on the USS Independence CV62 in the Tactical Support Center or TSC which analyzed the S-2 "Graybox" and flight data. My schooling was as long as my cruise which was from pier 7 at Norfolk NOB to drydock down the Elizabeth river to Portmouth. HA HA. I relieved OTA2 Sceebo (sp?) in the TSC. I went to every type of school offered as ordered by the leading chief to get me out of drydock work. I was picked up for OTA1 and there was no billet for an OTA1 so I got transferred back into the OTA normal chain of commands. I was onboard for 7 months and had duty every fourth day when not TAD so I did have a bunk on board. lots of fun drinking with the AW's.

Visits: