Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Disposition of NAVFAC Pacific Beach, WA T-building

Hi OB,

The T-Buildings on Bermuda and San Salvador are still standing. Bermuda's building is vacant and in decline. San Salvador's is being used for undersea ecological studies by many US colleges. See some of the photos in the NAVFAC San Salvador photo album. I believe you'll recognize the standard flooring tiles used by the U. S. Navy in some of these photos.

As of last week the T-Building on Grand Turk is still there.

You can still see the Centerville Beach TB in Google Street View.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere the property was going to be transferred from the Navy to local government.

Pac Beach was my first duty station after completing "Special Course 572" - behind the Green Doors at Key West. Reported aboard as SOOSA in mid July of 1959 - transferred to San Nic in Feb of 1961.
Retired 23 years later from COSP/NOPF as OTCM, but was lucky to have made one more trip to PB while on staff.

Have returned to Pac Beach for reunions in 2001, 2004, 2007 and 2010. Last one in 2010 was attended by CDR Vogt and his lovely wife. He did a magnificent power point presentation at our dinner and lead a tour thru the TE bldg the following day. A bit "erie" going thru the various spaces, but brought back some great memories.

Hope to be there again for the 2013 reunion - should be end of Sep - beginning of Oct. Past reunions have been nothing short of "spectacular" and thoroughly enjoyed by all. Looking foward to the next one and sharing time and memories with those present.

Irv (Dee)

The Pacific Beach Resort turned the building into dry storage. It is unpowered, unheated, and has no running water...essentially mothballed. The resort will remain open for the foreseeable future.

Visits: